Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Exit Music (for a film)



Me and Adro went out on a date last Friday... caught "The Last Station" at Liberty Hall.

It's about the last days of Leo Tolstoy. Which is what most movies at Liberty Hall are about, aye comrade?

Sadly, this film was in the big theater, which means you're only going to be able to hear about 75% of the movie. The sound in that big theater is TERRIBLE. Still, it's a fun atmosphere, being able to buy Free State beer and sitting four feet up off the floor.

The film ambled along slowly... we follow an old relationship and a young one. Of course, it's the last days of Tolstoy, so you know he's gonna die. I liked the setting, early 20th Century, Russia... but not 10-feet-of-snow Russia.

I could have gotten up and left midway through the movie, but we stuck it out. I ended up lightly enjoying it. Adro mildly disliked it. She gave it a 5 out of 10, I'd give it a 6 out of 10.


The next movie I watched recently was Zombieland. I got Adro to watch the first five minutes with me (she likes scary, but not stupid-scary. I, on the other hand, can only handle scary if it's also stupid.)

I heard great things... it was OK. The main concept -- a zombie attack in a closed-down amusement park -- is fun. I enjoyed that part. And all the imagery was morbidly funny.

But overall, it was just OK. Too many "why on earth would you do that if there was a zombie invasion?!?" moments. It was on the same enjoyment level as the Tolstoy film. Another 6 out of 10.

1 comment:

tsweeten said...

And I enjoyed the shit out of "Zombieland". I focused more on the characters (which were excellent...except for the little girl...she was annoying) more than the plot (which was admittedly weak). I really like the way they incorporated the "rules" into the movie, the best being when Tallahassee jumps off the minivan and says, "I think I pulled something" and 'limber up' pops up on the back of the minivan, only to fall off (with sound effects) as the camera pans left. But the best moment, the absolute laugh out loud moment, was when Tallahassee asks Columbus when he last had sex.

"You mean, laid some pipe?"
"Yeah, went twenty toes? Percy and the Playtones? Wallpapered the closet? Went heels to Jesus?"

HAHAHAHAHAHA...I STILL laugh at that scene and it's been weeks since I've seen that movie. And there were several equally amusing lines in that movie. It's a quotable movie (the best kind of movie, in my opinion) not seen since "Blazing Saddles".