Thursday, April 1, 2010

My top 100 songs of all time (90-81)



Here's the key:

Rank, song, band, album, year.
Boldface denotes I’ve seen the song performed live.
90. “Hot For Teacher,” Van Halen, MCMLXXXIV (1984)
89. “So Low,” Self, Subliminal Plastic Motives (1995)
88. “Super Bon Bon,” Soul Coughing, Irresistible Bliss (1996)
87. “Friend is a Four-Letter Word,” Cake, Fashion Nugget (1996)
86. “Need You Tonight,” INXS, Kick (1987)
85. “Parabola,” Tool, Lateralus (2001)
84. “Everlong,” Foo Fighters, The Colour and the Shape (1997)
83. “Light Years,” Pearl Jam, Binaural (2000)
82. “Personal Jesus,” Depeche Mode, Violator (1990)
81. “Jesus Christ Pose,” Soundgarden, Badmotorfinger (1991)

1 comment:

Seth said...

The drum intro to "Hot for Teacher" is such an awesome intro... pumps me up every time. Great, great 80s song right there.

"Super Bon Bon" would be my entrance music if I were ever a professional boxer. (If I were ever a WWE wrestler, I'd get my own custom-made theme song.)

Check out the (one-man) band Self, if you haven't already. His albums are solidly funky, cool rock gems.

"Parabola?" That crescendo just KILLS IT.

"Light Years"... that's the song I want played at my funeral.

"Jesus Christ Pose" and "Personal Jesus"... meant to go together on a list sometime, someplace. It finally happened.