Monday, April 5, 2010

Everything in its right place



Here's a photo of me after KU got upset at Oklahoma State this year.

It was at this moment that I decided it was OK not to take KU to win it on all my brackets... and yet, I still filled out most of mt brackets (4) with my heart, and only one with my head (taking Duke).

I hated seeing Butler go down, but hey, that's $375 I just made. I really can't remember the last time I won a bracket...

You know when I knew KU was going down this year? About 6 hours before the tip-off of the KU-Northern Iowa game. Want to know what tipped me off?

The cover of Sports Illustrated.

See, I subscribe to SI. I used to get it every Thursday. Since I moved to Eudora, sometimes I get it on Friday, Saturday... the following Monday.

I hadn't seen that week's cover until I stopped in at Border's (still in business, remarkably). There was Sherron Collins... DUNKING... on the cover of SI. The problem? HE CAN'T DUNK!

That's exactly the kind of bad mumbo-jumbo that dooms you in the field of 64!

Duke, meanwhile, never screwed up. They survived. My TV nemesis Dickie V took them to win it -- he was the only guy on ESPN not to pick KU.

I still hate Duke. But at least this year they paid off.

2 comments:

tsweeten said...

Hee hee. I took that picture. I also took great pleasure in that game (I so should have bet 'loser's team pays'). Good times, my friend, good times. We need to make that an annual event.

Neuty and Trish said...

Winning money on Duke is like going to church drunk. IT'S ALWAYS A BAD IDEA AND YOU WILL NEVER GET AWAY WITH IT.

Beware the karma man, beware the karma.





(Taste on Friday?)