Sunday, March 28, 2010

Behind on 2010 goals





I'm feeling very self-satisfied this Sunday evening. The White Russians I'm drinking help, sure, but I'm also happy that my laundry's done, the girls are tucked away in bed and I hit more than a fair share of 3-pointers in Sunday pick-up ball this morning. Plus, another great weekend is in the books, so I'm tip-top.

One thing is bothering me, though... my goals. I'm behind on my goals.

This time last year, I was grinding through my Jacko comic. By July, I'd be done with it. It was a 22-page black-and-white comic that, though totally unsuccessful, I'm exceedingly proud of.

I have many goals for 2010, one of which is writing an illustrating a children's book. I made my first trip of the year to the drawing board last week... it didn't go well. Turns out, I'm lousy at drawing my main character. That is discouraging. (The main character, btw, is a fox. If I can't get a handle on drawing a fox, I may change the animal to a monkey or a donkey or an emu or a sloth... whatever animal I can draw that can actually be identified as the animal I'm trying to frickin' draw.)

I also want to write a novel (or screenplay) this year, and I haven't worked on that project since Dad died.

Another goal I made for myself... and this is really revealing... but I've always dreamed of having an article published in Esquire. I made it a goal to pitch a story to Esquire every month for a year. I started this in November (weird timing I know) and pretty soon I'm going to fall two months off my goal. My plan is to post some of those submissions here soon, after I get a backlog of them going.

Anyway, I'll try to keep you posted. Maybe if I write about it here, I'll be more motivated (read: pressured) to get downstairs and draw/write more.

Before I close, I must write about my sweet, sweet Evey some.

Today we colored together. Evey demonstrated to me that she can write the letter "E" which I find very cool. She can also identify the letters of the alphabet at random... I write an "R" and she says "R!" I don't know how long she's been doing this for, and I admit I didn't even try to teach her any of this. But I'm happy to see she's getting it. I asked her who taught her and she said "Grandma."

Evey was REALLY good this weekend. She went through a spell a few weeks ago where she was being a bit ornery. I haven't hardly had to discipline her at all lately. I don't know what to attribute this to, but she's been really sweet lately.

The photos in this post are of Evey watching the mini-DVD player in our hotel room in San Diego. If given the choice, I think Evey would prefer to watch her movies on this little player than the 40-inch flatscreen. And she would preferably be watching "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs," except I mailed that disc back to NetFlix.
Maybe that's why she was being ornery?

No comments: