Thursday, March 25, 2010

My top 100 songs of all time (100-91)


I recently (a few months ago) created a list of my TOP 100 SONGS OF ALL TIME. I published 100-50 in my zine for Pulp Legacy... I'm going to get some crossover use out of it here, and publish my top 100, 10 at a time, for the next 10 weeks. I'll post these Thursday night, to give you something to read to shake off the hangover on Friday mornings.

I'll avoid any commentary here... just the list. I'll include commentary (if I have any) in the comments section as the weeks progress.

Here's the key:

Rank, song, band, album, year.
Boldface denotes I’ve seen the song performed live.

100. “Maps,” Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Fever to Tell (2003)
99. “Got You (Where I Want You),” The Flys, Holiday Man (1998)
98. “Gold Dust Woman,” Hole, Crow 2 Soundtrack (1996)
97. “Carlotta Valdez,” Harvey Danger, Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone? (1997)
96. “Leg of Lamb,” Queens of the Stone Age, Rated R (2000)

95. “Lets Go Crazy,” Prince, Purple Rain (1984)
94. “Spies,” Coldplay, Parachutes (2000)
93. “Mother ‘93,” Danzig, Thrall: Demonsweatlive (1993)
92. “Only,” Nine Inch Nails, With Teeth (2005)
91. “Wail,” Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Now I got Worry (1996)

2 comments:

Eddie said...

Wow, what a great undertaking. I look forward to seeing the list and I plan on listening to them as I am sure there are several I don't know. I'm listening to the Yeah Yeah Yeah - Maps song now.

I do think the list gets hurt by any inclusion of a Coldplay song though. I've never understood why people love this band so much.

Seth said...

Thanks, Eddie! Now that's it's done, it seemed pretty easy, but as I was compiling it... yeah, it took a few months. And then there were moments where I'd be like, "R.E.M.?!? There's no R.E.M. on this list?!?!"

I agree that Coldplay is overrated, but their album "Parachutes" was great, and I'll always love that album. Great mood music. There later stuff is boring though. This is the only Coldplay song on my list, so do not fear. Spies is a song that takes me to a certain time in my life, and any song that can do that is probably on this list.

Let's see, # 98, Gold Dust Woman -- yeah, I know it's a cover. I've heard Fleetwood Mac's original and I don't care for it. Courtney's version melts your face off.

# 97, Carlotta Valdez, great song, great album. I know Harvey Danger is forever known simply for Flagpole Sitta, but they had some great songs, great lyrics, catchy tunes. This is one. There will be more Harvey on the list.

# 91, Jon Spencer's Wail... just a fun song. One of those songs where the lyrics make no sense but the music makes you feel good.