Sunday, March 25, 2007

The $5.99* special


We learned a lesson today.


We took Evey to Wal-Mart for the $5.99* special on studio photography. We've never done this, probably for a reason, but Evey's only going to be 3.5 months old for a short time, so... let's take her in and see how it goes.


The photographer was an odd sort. She wasn't very good at posing Evey. And the backgrounds were all shoddy. Luckily, the Easter photo we were trying to get did not turn out, because we learned at check-out that the photos won't be available until after Easter.


The photographer really stressed to us that, "This is the $5.99 shot." But she should have said was, "Now we start ripping you off."


We took six different poses, of various levels of success. The $5.99 shot you gotta buy, because that's the only reasonable one. There were two other shots we wouldn't minded having. If we wanted both of them, we'd walk out of there dropping some $80. So we settled for just the one extra shot that we both really liked... and still walked out spending $50.


And then when the gal rang it up, she asked Adrianne for $78 or whatever, and Adrianne was like, "What?" And then the photog was insouciant, "Oh, sorry, I meant... $48.59." Whatever.


And like I said, then Adrianne asked when we'd get the photos at this point. "They should be available the Wednesday after Easter." Wow, maybe you could have mentioned that the moment we asked you to set up the Easter scene for the baby? Do you think that was an Easter shot? Or Christmas? Or maybe we just like bunny rabbits and plastic eggs a lot?


The good news is this has reaffirmed a passion for taking photos of Evey myself... I do just as good a job, and Evey will actually smile for me, and I'm not out to rip us off. Plus, no wait on my photos... they're available right away.


So stay away from Wal-Mart photo studios. Stay away from Wal-Mart in general, you know what I mean, but there's just another reason to detest those guys.


And in hindsight, I wish Evey woulda flipped off the Wal-Mart photographer.

6 comments:

John said...

Two things:

1) Thanks for that tip for a "maybe" future parent. I plan on bookmarking this and showing Stacey when that day comes, cause I not only can't stand Wal-Mart but am also a cheap jerk.

2) I had to look up "insouciant." Nicely done.

Commodore Lerve said...

I'm not going to look it up, but I'm sure it means unapologetic or a roody poo jabroni. However, I'm going to guess Jones heard about this word on the "word of the day" thing on Merriam-Webster's website.

Oh, again, let's not teach the young child the finger quite yet. Although I think we all can see Jones using Evey for certain tasks when she starts to talk. Heck, I'm going to use this service. "Hey, my godfather thinks you'd be a great godmother for me."

Neuty and Trish said...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm flipping Wal-Mart off right now. And Lerve. He gets a double-bird.

Seth said...

Sorry about the "insouciant," fellas, it just came out. These things happen.

Great comments, guys, you all gave me and Adro a good laugh.

Eddie said...

Yeah Walmart is crap, the wife started taking all of Seth (Jr's) picks herself also. Went out and bought sheets, props, etc.

I made the mistake of saying they were good, so know she does it all the time, just cost me $1800 on a Nikon D200, I was okay with the windup camera though!

Seth said...

Email me a photo of little Seth, Eddie, let's see some of these photos!