Tuesday, March 6, 2007

100!


Not that you really care, but... I shot 100 at Eagle Bend yesterday. That's probably my best 18 ever.

Everything was working reasonably well for me. The 3 wood was large and in charge. The chipping was decent. And the putting wanted to be brilliant, but I only had two longs putts actually drop -- another 7 or 8 missed by an inch or two.

Highlight of the day for me was my third shot on the par five No. 9 at the Bend. My golfing buddy, Pedro, bets me a beer at the turn, loser of this one hole buys. An iffy drive puts me on a side-hill lie, but I catch a 7-iron just perfect and advance the ball a good 150 yards. I'm a ways away still, just short of the two giant trees on the left side of the fairway (lets say 190 yards). Got a nice lie. The flag is in a nasty location, on the left side of the green, elevated green, guarded by bunkers -- you can't see any green in the area where I want to go, but the right side of the green is visible. Grab the 7-iron again, swing for the stars. Catch it perfect. Finally, I measure the right club and my first bounce is just over that bunker and on the collar. A couple bounces, and I'm sitting 12 feet right of the pin.

The bad news: Horrible cut on the cup, it's at a downward angle facing away from me. I give it a run, miss it, the ball leaks 8 feet away from the cup. Now I'm in trouble of three-putting. But I slow down, looking at an uphill putt now, and drop it for the par and the free beer. Victory is mine.

Shot an even 50 on the front. On the back, I blew up on No. 12, carding a 9. By No. 16, I'm saying goodbye to breaking 100, Pedro gave me hell for the negative attitude. But it didn't look mathematically possible -- I'd need a few birdies, etc.

Well, wouldn't you know my math was bad. After a par and a bogey, I stepped up to No. 18 needing a double bogey to get to the house at 99. Easily done, right? Lousy drive. Weak second shot. Third shot flirts with out-of-bounds. Fourth shot -- bunker.

Get on the green from the bunker, but left with a 15-footer for 99. I wanted the 99 so I went after it aggressive, missed it, the downhill slope rolled me away from the cup again, this time about 8 feet. Now I'm staring this one down for 100. Pedro got really quiet and watched, he knew what I was going for.

Middle of the cup. 100! First time ever.

And now, of course, I'm dying to get out there again.

4 comments:

John said...

I don't wanna be a jerk, but did I see you using this yesterday?
click

nicely done, Seth.

Seth said...

What, is that against the rules of golf?

Commodore Lerve said...

Does Pedro have a green card? And is his last name Redonkulous?

Neuty and Trish said...

I can't believe you didn't mention my...ah, Pedro's score. We were tied at the turn with matching 50s, but Pedro shot a 39 on the back to whomp you by 11. And that was with a stogie and some Scotch!