Tuesday, March 20, 2007

54


Warning: golf post. But there may actually be an interesting tidbit in here, too...

Shot a 54 on the front nine at Alvamar public last week. Me and Eric got out there right after work on a gorgeous day and found an empty tee box awaiting us. Plus, the kid at the counter gave us both discounts for being GCSAA staffers.

As I walked past the putting green, I spotted one of those obscene Taylor Made golf bags with a name stitched in it -- the kind you see Tour players toting around. It was Chris Thompson's bag. Chris is a former KU golf standout who went through Q-school last year and walked away with full-time Nationwide, part-time PGA Tour credentials. He's married to my work colleague Jessica. I covered him on the GCM blog a little bit, talking to Jessica about the stresses of going through Q-School.

I introduced myself and Chris recognized my name and thanked me for the exposure we gave him. He's heading to Le Triomphe CC in Louisiana for this weekend's Nationwide Tour event. Real nice guy, we wish him and his family all the luck, naturally. I told him to remember GCM when he's hoisting the Wanamaker Trophy some day, he said he hopes he gets that chance.

Anyway, it's not everyday you bump into a Tour player at Alvamar public's putting green...

The other notable from this afternoon round? I beat Neuty. I've probably beat him at the Orchards before, but that doesn't really count. I think I bested him by... two or three strokes (you owe me one, Neuty).

My round was not nearly as good as my previous round at Eagle Bend. Mainly, my putting was terrible. But the good news was I still hit some good drives, and I also hit a couple of solid second shots. My only par was on No. 2. And then I got cocky, and then blistered a drive on No. 3. As we walked up that fairway, I told Eric to remember this moment in the golf season later this year, for when I'm terrible again. And then I instantly became terrible again, skulling my second shot, and walked away with a bone-chilling triple bogey.

Neuty, on the other hand, derailed his round when he made mention of the Lervik meltdown of 2006 on No. 5. I know not to mention said event anywhere near a golf course, for fear something similar will happen to me, and I'll then have to take my clubs to an exorcist.

Anyway, a little disappointed to shoot 54, but it's a tougher course than Eagle Bend, and my putting was lousy, so I'm happy with just the 'W' over Neuty.

My hope is to post my golf scores here all season, so I can chart my regress. Those posts will be denoted by just a number as the title (54). That may be embarrassing to me later this golf season, but it's designed to protect the innocent (read: Stacy Rinnert) who check Evey's blog everyday and could give a crap about my lousy golf scores.

At least I'll be able to include pretty golf course pictures with these posts, like this one, from Augusta National during the 2005 Masters, on the par three course.

4 comments:

Commodore Lerve said...

I'll never play the 5th hole again. I could do zero right on that hole. I'm golfing this Saturday for the 2nd time since I broke my driver 'accidentally.' I'll keep you posted. Rock Chalk!

Seth said...

That was a classic meltdown... I knew not to speak, but at the same time, it was hard not to laugh.

Commodore Lerve said...

And it's not THAT tough of a hole. Don't go left (which I never do). Don't blade your chip (which I sometimes do). Don't putt while filled with hatred (which I mostly do).

It didn't help that Neuty parred that hole. I really hated that the most.

Seth said...

If it makes you feel any better Commodore, I'm pretty sure that was Neuty's last par.