Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My best photo from Comic-Con


Here's a photo I got at San Diego Comic-Con a few weeks back. My press credential got me into the photo pit... I jostled with the rest of the photogs and managed to get a couple good ones (if I had photo editing capabilities, I'd crop out the hand on the left.) You would think that celebrity photographers generally would be taller, but most weren't that tall. One guy even brought a step stool. So I just pushed my way in, like all of them were doing. When the cast of the upcoming Avengers movie came our way, I was front and center.


This shot is of Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury); the guy who is playing Hawkeye; the guy who is playing the Hulk; Joss Whedon, director; and Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man). (Notice how Samuel L. Jackson is looking right at me? It's because he remembered me from when I interviewed him on the golf course five years ago.)


I hustled back to the yacht to uploaded these photos. CBR's editor was thrilled with what I brought him. He made this photo (cropped, natch) the lead photo on CBR's page that night.


Needing a break (I had been reporting from the same room for 12 hours that day) I headed to a nearby hotel bar for a few drinks. My boss from CBR texted me, "Where are you?" I told him I was at the hotel bar, relaxing -- did he need me? He texted back that he saw my photo, and that "you're all kinds of awesome, aren't you?" Well, that made my day. It was my last day in San Diego, and I was happy to do something that impressed him.


After a few more drinks at the bar, I headed back to the CBR yacht (my boss rents a yacht and him, me and our cameraman live on it for the week) for our annual tradition at the end of Comic-Con: cigars on the top deck of the yacht. We traded stories (I told my tale of having to walk across Lincoln, Neb., to get back to the hotel after the Pixies concert) and killed a few cocktails. I was burned out, but it was another awesome experience for a comic geek... attending Comic-Con for three days, and getting paid to do it!

1 comment:

mar said...

Hey. I think you were having drinks with me during that break, and I was with you when you walked across Lincoln. But I'll take that picture with me in the previous entry as my mention.