Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Luckiest guy in the world (part I)




Check out these two girls. Yup, luckiest guy in the world = me.




I just got back from five days on the road. First, a few days in Las Vegas for Eric Neuteboom's bachelor party. Then, I flew to Naples, Fla., to do a 1-on-1 interview with golf legend and entrepreneur Greg Norman.




Now, I'm back. Whoo-hoo!




I'm at work right now, and I rarely make posts from work (they pay me to blog on GCM's blog, not here). But I'm getting ready to grab lunch with Adro, and I felt like I could afford a quick 10 minutes to throw something back up here.




Evey said "ma-ma!" yesterday.




It was only a month after she said "da-da!" (heh!) but yeah, I was holding Evey, just back from my trip, when Evey saw her mom, reached out with both arms, and shouted "ma-ma!" What a sight.




Evey will be 10-months old on Sunday. She started saying "da-da," or, more specifically, "da-da-da-da-da," over a month ago. "Is she saying 'da-da?'" I'd ask. And we decided it was close, but it was also a little bit gibberish still. So we didn't throw a party, call the grandparents or mark the day on the calendar.




(But if she was saying 'ma-ma-ma-ma,' I wonder what our reaction would have been? Adro?)




So then we go to the doctor's office for Evey's 9-month checkup. The doctor is asking what Evey is doing these days, what new tricks she's learned. We told her about her crawling, and paddy cake, etc. "Is she saying any words yet?" the doctor asked. "Not... really," Adrianne said. "Well, she's sort of saying 'da-da,' but we're not quite sure..."




And then, mere moments later, Evelyn looked up at me as I was holding her, and shouted, "da-da!"




The doctor gave us a look and then said, "I don't know, guys... but that pretty much sounded like "da-da" to me...




And at that point I started jumping around, started doing the Robot, because yeah, that's right -- if the DOCTOR says she said 'da-da,' that's as official as you GET! Evey's first word, ladies and gentlemen! "DA-DA!"




But then, after five days on the road, Evelyn has mastered saying "ma-ma." And it sounds so cute. But she still says "da-da," too.




That photo at the top of this post, I took it with my PDA, right before I left for Vegas. And then I saved it as the background. So when I was on the road this last trip, every time I checked the time, or to see if I missed a call, I had their faces smiling at me. So cute!




More soon... it's so good to be back home.

1 comment:

tsweeten said...

Emma does the same thing (Emery did too)...I think it's a universal baby thing. Of course, sometimes they surprise you. I took Emery to the doctor when he was around 1 and the doctor was diagnosing Emery's ear problems. She said something like, "It could be a bacteria" or some such. Emery looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and said "bacteria". Or a reasonable facsimile. Even the doctor commented on it. When they do something like that, it really makes you proud to be a parent.