Monday, July 5, 2010

Quick idiot box reviews

I'm not into fireworks, it's not my thing. And I did very little moving around this 4th of July weekend. I mostly watched a ton of TV. It was kind of nice. Here are some quick reviews:

Hot Tub Time Machine: Kind of funny, not a bad little popcorn flick. I chuckled more than once.

Shutter Island: Not as good as I hoped it'd be. At first I was really disappointed, then I saw it was a Martin Scorsese film and I was like, "Wow, that didn't suck as much as his films usually do."

Last Comic Standing: Why are the judges giving their opinions after every comic goes on? It totally breaks up the flow of the show. And the judges (who are all nobodies anyway) keep saying the same thing over and over again! I get why there are judge's reactions in American Idol... I kind of like to hear what an expert thinks. But do I really need someone to explain to me why something is or isn't funny? Am I really that stupid?

Pawn Stars: I watched literally ten episodes today. I love this show. If you haven't seen it yet, give it a chance. I made Adro watch this show a few times, and now she's hooked too. And she's the last person you'd expect to watch a show about people selling junk (wait... does QVC count?) But this show has a lot more than people selling stuff... the employees of the pawn shop make for a great cast -- you got grumpy, funny, jerky and dumb... and the items people bring in really are interesting. Like buried treasure, an NBA championship ring, a cannon, etc. This might be my new favorite thing on TV... besides Sunny in Philadelphia.

3 comments:

Neuty and Trish said...

I agree with you on LCS. The judges provide no critical remarks beyond "that was funny." A complete waste of space and time. But I guess they got to fill the time somehow...

Would also recommend following Rescue Me. Quality show!

Lindsey said...

We just got hooked on Pawn Stars too!

Unknown said...

I <3 Pawn Stars!! Completely hooked!