Monday, March 10, 2008

Sleep watching




One of my favorite things about being a parent is this: Checking in on little Evey when she's sleeping.

There's something comforting about watching your child sleep. I don't fully understand it. Maybe it's primordial -- my 10,000 B.C. ancestor looked at his sleeping child and knew this meant he kept said child from being eaten for another day. While I'm not worried about wild animals, I do worry, all the time, about my little Evey. And when she's sleeping, she's beautiful, and she's safe.

Also, I don't know how much experience you have with kids, but as for me... I never watched babies sleep up until recently. It was right around Evey's birth when I started this hobby, actually. Previously, watching sleeping babies didn't interest me. And actually, it's only my baby that I like to watch sleep. It's not that other babies (especially yours) don't sleep beautifully, it's just that I'm not a weirdo. I don't think.

Anyway, looking in on Evey every night is like the one constant of parenthood. She's always running around when she's awake. She's always moving. But when she's asleep, she's static, and I can get a good look at her on a scale -- with her crib and her Curious George serving as my "control" -- to see how big she's getting. And wow, she's getting BIG.

In the above photo, Evey is asleep in her crib. The shot was actually taken at night; the flash makes it look like daytime. I can assure you that, though she's on her knees with her butt up in the air, she's not praying to Allah. (Though, if she is, that's fine. But apparently the Sundays at St. Johns aren't taking like Adrianne is hoping.) Instead I think she is fighting off sleep with every ounce of energy she has. And when she finally succumbs to Mr. Sandman, she has no time to lay down -- it's sudden, and she goes to her knees, and then, boom, she's sleeping on her face. Since this looks uncomfortable, we usually put her in a more comfortable position. Other times, like this one, I just take photos and giggle.

Anyway, watching little Evey sleep... not a hobby I expected to have, but one that I enjoy.

6 comments:

tsweeten said...

Hey man, I do the same thing. When Emery was born, I used to spend upwards to 15 minutes a night watching him sleep. With two kids now, it becomes a bit time consuming to watch both of them, but every night before I go to bed I check on both of them to make sure covers are tucked in.

And I think all kids sleep like that. At least mine do. (and getting this comment posted has been a pain...this is my third try)

Seth said...

Don't click jojosho's link... it's some type of spam link. The last time this happened, I closed comments on the post, since I apparently can't just delete the one comment. I don't want to do this here since Trav has already added his two cents. So just ingonre these weird comments if you see them in the future. Thanks.

Eddie said...

So before Evey was born, you use to just go over to peoples houses who had kids and watch them sleep? Where exactly where these kids you were watching then?

I usually check in on little Seth because its the only time he's not annoying the crap out of me.

Seth said...

Apparently, Eddie, you missed the part of the story where I said that I didn't start doing this until Evey was born... actually, you missed a big part of the post! Are you just looking at the photos again and not reading the words, Eddie??

Eddie said...

But you do admit to watching other peoples babies, right?

But then again, I check into this site that is about your kid, so is that the same thing?

Seth said...

No.

And no.

Let's go, Jayhawks!