Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Great White fire update


Read the new Sports Illustrated tonight (not a great issue). Also started the new Rolling Stone with Barack on the cover (looks like a great issue, even better than the new Esquire, surprisingly). I found this story on the Great White concert fire that happened back in February 2003.

It's great to see someone doing something for the victims of that tragedy. It really seemed to me that this story slipped through the cracks. 100 people died, 200 injured. But it was a hair band concert... so it just kind of happened, then went away.

If it were a Maya Angelou fan club meeting that was engulfed in flames that day, man, we'd probably all be wearing matching ribbons every anniversary. Anyway.

I remember when this happened, I wanted to donate to the victims. I searched on-line, but couldn't find a place to do so. I even thought about making this the official cause of the Laugh Olympics -- because me and Wake loved going to concerts, and man, that's just my demographic right there -- sweaty nightclub of loyal music fans trying to enjoy themselves. I mean, I'll still donate to the DAV, with pride, but when you've got fellow music geeks that need help, I think to myself, that could have totally been me, had I lived in Rhode Island and liked a suck band like Great White.

So anyway, I scanned the article so you can read it. And you can even make a donation to the http://www.stationfamilyfund.org/ if you ever wanted to, but were like me and couldn't find the proper outlet. I mean, I've already sent Ticketmaster over $50 this year in "convenience charges" (and that's not even hyperbole). If I can do that, I can send these fire victims, fellow rockers, a $20.

Just the way I feel about it.

No comments: