Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Evey Jones: Ninja



We took the family out to Johnny's on Monday night.

Evey was sitting across from me. While Adro was in the restroom, Evey asked me to read the menu to her. She had settled somewhat reluctantly on "cheeseburger."

Then Adro sat down and asked her, "Do you want a piece of pizza?" Evey's eyes lit up. Pizza isn't on the kid's menu, it didn't occur to me to mention that, yeah, she could have a piece of pizza, too.

So now Evey decides to hell with the cheeseburger, she's getting a slice of cheese pizza! And she's excited about it! And you know what? I'm excited about it too! So I offer her a high-five!

The high-five was appropriately awesome for a 33-year-old and a 4-year-old. Good connection. Nice tone.

Then, Evey took it to the next level and accidentally revealed to us that she may indeed be a ninja.

She took her rolled up silverware (in the opposite hand as the high-five) and made the same motion toward me with it. In a blur, the butter knife shoots out of the roll... and stabs directly into my full pint of beer! Beer explodes everywhere! Foam is shooting all over the table! A huge "crash!" noise happens!

I look down, and my first instinct is "DRINK THAT BEER BEFORE IT'S WASTED!" But I hesitated because it was all foam. And then I looked a little harder, and was glad I hesitated: the knife shattered the side out of the glass!

Evey was embarrassed, but I was impressed. A bartender swooped in to help clean up the mess. I announced to all the gawkers, trying to figure out what had just happened at our table, that "MY DAUGHTER IS A NINJA!!!" I looked at the table behind Evey and that dad looked at his two daughters with a disappointed look. I could see the look in his eyes. It was, "I wish MY girls were ninjas."

No comments: