Sunday, January 2, 2011

Accident-prone weekend


We had a rough weekend, an accident-prone weekend.

(Evey is demonstrating the rough weekend by doing her impression of Edvard Munch's "The Scream" above.)

On Saturday Evey wanted to play with a new toy the Neutebooms were nice enough to get her. It looks like a ray gun and shoot bubbles when you push the button. I told Evey we needed to get in the tub to play with it so we wouldn't make a mess elsewhere in the house.

So Evey tips over the little tray of bubble juice, then steps in it, then tries to stand up. SPLAT!

No big deal, she was fine, but she cried a little bit.

Then, a few hours later, I told Evey to go downstairs and ask Lervik if he wanted to eat lunch. Me and Adrianne are in the kitchen as Evey starts telling us, "Daddy, J.J. said he--" we both look at her and she just misses a step, falls backwards, and does a complete backwards flip down the stairs before landing on her head at the front door. THUD!

That got some well deserved crying, right there.

She was fine. That was the first good spill she's had on our stairs at the new house.

Oh, then I was taking a nap with Evey in her room when the doorbell rang. I was disoriented, and it took me a minute to sneak out of the bed without waking up Evey. I didn't grab my glasses, just ran for the door, then ran down the stairs. I thought I was on the last stair, turns out I was on the next-to-last stair. So I landed hard on my foot and flew into the door.

It was a nice, relaxing New Year's weekend. Watched a few movies, read a few magazines, drank a few beers. We just picked up a few bruises along the way.

***

UPDATE: About two hours after I posted this, Evey dropped one of her Christmas presents on her toe. The toy was this little laptop for kids with different games on it... a nice toy! Yup, it doesn't work anymore. To quote Evey, "Aw, man!"

No comments: