Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 32 of the boycott of 96.5 the Buzz…


Yesterday I added aluminum foil to my car antenna, hoping to reach an alternative rock station in Austin, Texas. Unsuccessful. Still may be potential, as the foil flew off mid-drive somewhere. Will try securing foil with duct tape next time.

This classic country station is killing me. They played Roy Orbison the other day. I can’t decide which freaks me out more, that they played Orbison, or that Orbison might actually be classic country. Was I lied to all these years?

Haven’t listened to “Resurrection Sunday” in weeks. Actually went to church with the girls this Sunday. Might as well, there’s nothing to listen to on the radio Sunday mornings anymore. Also, can pray at church for the return of Jason and his Resurrection Sunday show.

With absence of RS, that means haven’t listened to any 1980s alternative in over a month. No Depeche Mode, no Clash, no Violent Femmes, no Black Flag, no Ramones (actually, can do without the Ramones).

Went to “Buzz Under the Stars” concert the other day, featuring Smashing Pumpkins and Cake. Afentra – the hoarse-voiced, cackle-laughing, small-minded, solipsistic host of the morning show -- came out and introduced the Pumpkins. Shouted expletives at her, but they went unheard… she’s too enamored with the sound of her own voice to hear anyone else anyway. If she can’t listen to Todd Bridges when she’s interviewing him on the air, how the hell is she going to hear me screaming among 15,000 people?

Efforts to contact Jason in order to create a new KC alternative rock station have been fruitless so far. Was informed of an uprising for Jason on Facebook.com, but have a previous boycott of Facebook – now on day 1,287 – that keeps me from going that route. Will just have to hope he will eventually see the smoke signals I’m sending – little puffs of smoke in the shape of Frank Black singing “Where is my mind?” – eventually.

Worry that Jason, and with him, a medium to provide the people of NE Kansas with quality alternative rock music, both new and old, is gone. But hold on to hope by reminding myself of the song he played me for my 33rd birthday – “Road to Nowhere” by the Talking Heads.

I’m feelin’ OK this morning,
And you know,
We’re on the road to paradise,
Here we go,
Here we go.
We’re on a road to nowhere...

OK, not really sure how that song has any message. Eating bacon explosion for breakfast may have been bad idea.

Maybe alternative rock music in KC is on a road to nowhere? Could be.

Will try more smoke signals tonight. Maybe an easier shape than Frank Black? Perhaps, this time, will try making a Lemonhead.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Not quite the same as Resurrection Sunday, but Jack FM has a program on Sunday morning with some decent songs mixed in http://www.1051jackfm.com/MUSIC/BAREBRUNCH.aspx

KJHK has Alternative Flashback show on Saturdays from 6-8.

Or you might like Breakfast with the Smiths on streaming on Indie 103.1 out of LA. I think they are online only now. http://www.indie1031.com/include.php?pageid=/shows/breakfast.asp

Commodore Lerve said...

Don't those photos of people taking them with their phones in a mirror involve your shirt off and a 6-pack of abs? Wait, that's just Facebook, my bad.

Have you looked at Internet radio? Me either.

This was one of your best written blog posts in recent memories. Took me on a journey, my compadre.

Eddie said...

Evey does a better grumpy/angry face than you.

Seth said...

Any time I get three comments on a blog post, I consider that a success!

Laura, I will check out the Brunch... Adro has heard this before and said it was good. Is the KJHK show on at 6 to 8 p.m.?

Lervik, thanks for the love. Internet radio is mostly blocked/frowned upon at my work, so I don't get to listen to it much... I love www.pandora.com though -- I know you dig it too.

Eddie, that's not a grumpy face, that's a DRUNK face.

Eddie said...

Isn't Evey too young to drink? But you can hardly tell she's drunk!

Jason Arnett said...

Satellite Radio is the way to go, man. I'm just sayin'. I haven't listened to local commercial radio in nearly five years and I don't miss it at all...