Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The voice in Evey's stomach

I made a huge comeback from this time yesterday. I think it's because we put the July issue of the magazine to bed today. But Thursday sounds do-able. And the next thing we know... it's Friday morning, and USA has a World Cup game.

(But we've also got a game 7 tomorrow night... good stuff!)

***

Evey took a new approach to trying to get out of eating dinner tonight: using her stomach as a negotiator. It went like this:

Evey: Uhm, Mom, Dad... my stomach told me it doesn't want to eat anymore food. It told me that I should ask if I can go Watch Wall-E, and that you would say 'yes!'

Me: Well, tell your stomach that's crazy-talk, because not only have you not eaten enough dinner yet, but you haven't been excused yet. So you need to take two more bites, at least...

Evey: But Dad! My stomach says that it doesn't want to eat anymore food.

Me: Did I miss something? Did Mom make you two sandwiches? Because before you can eat 'any more' food you first have to eat food...

Evey: Yes, Mom made me five sandwiches.

Me: FIVE SANDWICHES?!?

Evey: Yes, FIVE! And my stomach says it doesn't want any more.

Me: Well, tell your stomach to get ready for one more, because that sandwich on your plate doesn't even look like it's been touched! And it's got to get eaten if you want to watch Wall-E at all tonight!

Apparently, this silenced the voice in Evey's stomach because she was all of a sudden inspired to eat again, voice in her belly be damned...

No comments: