Sunday, November 28, 2010

Original rules of basketball



I saw this in the new issue of ESPN the Magazine (a pretty interesting issue, actually). The original rules of basketball, up for auction.

These rules once came into Willie C's while I was a waiter there. I remember this guy came in, sat in the back, and he had this black briefcase with him. He didn't sit in my section, but another waiter told me about what he had, so I had to go check it out.

I went back there and asked him about it -- he opened the case and showed it to me. It was sort of like the scene in Pulp Fiction when Vincent Vega opens the briefcase. "What'd you bring it in for?" I asked. "Would you leave this in your car?" he asked. I guess not, but I think I'd keep my onion rings away from the thing. The guy told me he was Naismith's grandson, and that's how he came to own this document. I remember Naismith called the game "Basket Ball" and I found that interesting.

Anyway, I kept it short with thise guy because I didn't totally believe him. But then I saw this story and I was reminded of him, and I figure, yeah, that was probably him, that was probably the original rules of basketball, and yeah, this guy is going to have an extra $2 million soon.

No comments: