Sunday, November 7, 2010

The comprende category



I've been trying to explain some concepts to Evey lately. I don't know if this is reasonable, but I figure there's no way to tell unless I try.

For example, I tried to explain to her daylight savings on Friday afternoon, as we waited to pick up Mom from work. I told her to stop me if she got confused at any time. I finished my talk, and asked her, "Comprende?" and she smiled and said, "Comprende."

She did not seem too worried about the fact that the sunset was around 5 p.m. today, so I am keeping that one in the "comprende" category.

Then tonight, Evey asked me if we could watch "Pocahontas" while I was in the middle of watching the Chiefs game.

I decided to explain to Evey that Dad doesn't enjoy "Pocahontas," that he thinks it's a jingoistic piece of crap, and that the sound of Mel Gibson doing the voice of John Smith just grates on his soul. I told Evey that Dad likes to watch the Chiefs games. I asked her if she liked to watch Chiefs games. She said no. I asked her if Mom liked to watch Chiefs games. She said, "No, Mom likes to watch QVC." I told her that was right. I asked Evey what her favorite thing to watch was. She said "Scooby Doo." I asked her if she understood that Evey, Momma and Dad all have different things they like to watch, because they all have a different idea of "fun."

And Evey responded that she has fun watching "Scooby Doo," but Mom doesn't have fun watching it, because she's afraid of the "Lake Monster."

So I'm going to list that one in the "no comprende" category.

Photo is of Evey and her classmates at dance class.

(I like to imagine, when I'm posting via wireless, that the blog post looks like that scene in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" where Mike Teevee gets transported into the TV, and my blog is like that moment when Mike becomes colorful little squares floating in the sky, from one instrument to the other.)

No comments: