Sunday, September 19, 2010

Evey and J.J. at the news desk




An unusual weekend here. It started out at a gay bar. Yes, a gay bar.

We (me, Bart, Hendren) had tickets to see the Pixies at the Uptown Theater Friday night. We also wanted to watch the KU game. Hendren Google'd it, and found a sports bar right across the street from the Uptown. And yes, it was billed as a sports bar.

But "Outa Bounds" is a gay, gay sports bar.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

We did end up drinking there, I did get hit on when buying a beer, and we were the only three guys who gave a shit about the KU game on the TV. It was, for sure, the strangest place I can imagine to watch a KU football game. I mean, even the jukebox was gay.

Anyway, from there we hit the Pixies show -- they were awesome, of course. I love that band. I was also happy that I didn't have to worry about being hit on anymore.

Saturday morning my sister came and picked us up and we went to Mulvane to see my Mom. I worked on the yard for a few hours. Then we went and had a big family birthday party. There are a lot of September birthdays in our family (including Adro on the 2nd and my Dad on the 21st) and the big one was cousin Sean turning 50. So we killed a few beers and toasted all the old men... of which, I was lumped into based on my gray hair.

Sunday we visited Grandma, then went and put flowers on Dad's grave. Then we hustled home so we could get started up with the week that's coming. Both Evey and Marina were tired and cranky. I was glued to the Chiefs radio broadcast. Jess and Adro were tired.

So it was a strange weekend. Gay bar, Pixies, birthday party, yard work, Dad's grave... this weekend I was frightened, excited, happy, sad, frustrated, mad. And that was all just in the first quarter of the KU game!

***

If you made it this far, make sure you vote in my new poll, on the upper right-hand side of the blog! I'm not voting in this one, I really want to know your opinion on this one.

***

These photos I took when Lervik was in town a few weeks ago. Me and Lerv made a drunken attempt at humor for the Laugh Olympics, attempting to make a video of us at a TV sports desk, predicting who would do well at the LO. But then, the next day I watched the videos... they were 10 minutes long, rambly, F-bomb laden (thanks, Evey....) I deemed then not suitable for something called the "Laugh Olympics," as there were no laughs to be had. Oh well. We did have fun. I think.

2 comments:

Commodore Lerve said...

I had a blast doing them, we'll have to look back on the videos in the future to see how jacked up we were.

mar said...

Was there any Electric Six on the jukebox at the Outa Bounds?