Monday, October 19, 2009

Four quick Evey stories


Feeling better today, thanks!


After a really rough night Sunday/Monday, Adrianne drug me back to my doctor. She even drove me. She was pretty sure they were going to throw my butt in the hospital today, I think. She woke up before me (although my sleep was intermittent at best) and she heard how bad my breathing was... think Darth Vader, with a Yoda-sized loogie trapped in his throat.


Anyway, long story short, Doc agreed I sounded like a mutant, and he gave me a steroid prescription. After one dose, I'm feeling a lot better, able to take much deeper breaths now... I'm planning on going to work tomorrow!!! It's been so long since I've been to work I'm excited!


***


Evey has been really cute lately. Want some cute Evey stories? I'm overdue here, aren't I?

The other day Evey looked at me and asked, "Dad, are you feeling better?" I said, "Yes, sweetie, I'm feeling better." She looked at me and said, "Dad, I'm happy. I'm happy because you aren't sick anymore." And then she hugged me around my neck.

I called for Adrianne to come in to the living room. I had Evey repeat what she just said. "I'm happy because Dad's not sick anymore," she repeated. That caused an instant family hug.

Yeah, that's a pretty general, but her sentence forming is just getting really good (unlike, apparently, my 'sentence forming'). I like hearing her string together longer sentences. Now, she'll still mumble jibberish every once in a while, or talk like a baby, but she also has some really impressive sentences.

***

Real quick one. Me and Evey are driving in the Z. I've got my new Jon Spencer Blues Explosion CD on. Evey is kind of digging it. She's dancing, clapping. So I try to get her to sing along.

"Evey! Say, 'The Blues is No. 1! The Blues is No. 1!'" (A common lyric of most JSBE albums.)

She responds, "No, Daddy! The Blues is No. 2!"

She would not tell me who No. 1 was. I even volunteered myself. But she was only insistent that the Blues was No. 2.

***

At the doctor's office today, waiting to be called in. Evey and Adro with me (like I said, Adrianne thought the next stop was the hospital!) One other couple in the waiting room.

Evey is coloring, chattering away, talking about the pumpkins, the colors, etc. Tells Adro that her favorite color is gray (hopefully not because of a boy named Grey).

The woman next to us smiles and asks Evey her name. "I'm Evey Jones!" Evey proclaims. She then asks how old Evey is. Evey says, "I'm two!" Adrianne agrees, "You are 2, but you'll turn 3 in December!"

The woman was floored. "I would have guessed her at 4! I have a 5-year-old... she isn't that far behind her!"

I smile, and say, "Yeah, she's really tall for her age."

The woman comes back, "Well, my daughter isn't much taller, but I'm talking about how articulate she is! She doesn't seem like a 2-year-old at all!"

So, yeah, I was smiling even though I was sick.

***

Adrianne took me and Evey to Casa Agave after the appointment. Here's some news.... CASA AGAVE might be my new favorite Mexican restaurant in town! Man, that's some good stuff! Sorry, Ixtapa.

Anyway, we get seated. The hostess gives Evey some crayons. "Evey, what do you say?" I say. "Gra-ci-as!" Evey sings back. The hostess looks at us, "She speaks Spanish?" "Poquito, (a little)" I say. The hostess was all smiles. She spoke a little bit more to Evey, I missed that conversation, I was headed to the bathroom at that point.

Apparently word had spread that there was a little white girl with white parents who was speaking Espanol at table 42. Our waiter comes out. "She speaks Spanish?" he asked. We told him to see for herself.

"Quantos anos tiene?" (How old are you?) "I'm two!"
"Como se llama?" (What is your name?) "I'm Evey.... Melosa.... JONES!"

Now the waiter is just floored. "How does she know Spanish?" Adrianne explains that, though he might not believe it, we are a half-Mexican family. So then he looks at us and just starts speaking Spanish. "De donde eres?" (Or something close to that, I knew he was asking me where I was from.) I told him I was from Wichita, but the Mexican side of my family originated from Chihuahua.

We now had a new best friend at Casa Agave. We got some extra queso, Evey got a globo (balloon), and I think we were offered a free dessert, but he severly overestimated our Spanish by that point. (Hopefully I wasn't rude, I just smiled and said 'la quenta, nada mass' -- 'the bill, nothing else.')

So, there are a couple Evey stories for you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

(hopefully not because of a boy named Grey).... Or because of the color of her daddy's hair.

Low blow Jones, sorry. Hope you're feeling better man!!!

mar said...

Me gustan las historias acerca de Evey.