Thursday, October 8, 2009

3-D!




Me, Adro and Evey went down to Wichita last Saturday to visit my Mom for a while. We also stopped in to visit my Dad's grave.

Saturday was a good day. I got up early and got a haircut. By the time I got back, Evey was still asleep, so Adro took off for the 6-hour sale at Hy-Vee. She came back in less than six hours with a TON of food. Good stuff, at a fraction of the price.

Her best deal -- she bought a bunch of the sausages, you know the ones, they're either "smoked sausage" or "polska kielbasa" or whatever -- they're all good. Regular price, $3.99. A price I'm happy to pay.

But that price is WAY TOO MUCH FOR ADRO!

Because she bought them on sale, half off! Only $1.99!

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

There was a $1.50 off coupon right there next to the things! So she grabs a stack... and checks it out. She grabs four of these sausages on round one. Cha-ching! They ring up at 50 cents each.
So she goes back for five more!

Hell yes, I've got a lot of sausage!

After the 6-hour sale, we jump in the car to head to Wichita. And yes, I'm freaking out. Because I wanted to be rolling by a certain time, and we were now about 10 minutes off my certain time. How quickly I forget 50 cent sausages. Sorry, Adro.

But we got to Wichita in time! In time for what? For Toy Story 1 and 2 in 3-D, that's what!

I bought tickets on-line the night before and we met my Mom at the theater. A good time, Evey enjoyed it but she wouldn't wear the 3-D glasses (DORK!) We ended up staying for both movies, something I wasn't sure we'd be able to do, but the girls were all ready for more, so we stayed.
The 3-D looked pretty good and I think everyone enjoyed the movies. The jumbo popcorn and Pepsi both came with free refills, so we all were overdosed on those, but still, a good time.

After the movie we went one block East to visit my Dad. They still have the green netting on top of the spot, no headstone yet. Left some flowers, exchanged a few hugs with Mom, Adro and Evey. It's still shocking to go there and think... this is forever, I'm not seeing that guy again except for in dreams, in photos and a few videos. We have a football game this Saturday and... Dad isn't coming. Shocking, I was there, I know, but sometimes it just doesn't seem real.

From there we went a few blocks West. There's all these fancy restaurants out in this area (13th Street) of Wichita. Like P.F. Chang's and... other stuff. I'd rather they just had some normal food out there. But eventually we decided on Fox and the Hound, which is LAME-ASS. I'd like it if I was a young guy trying to act/look cool. But I'm not that anymore. I'm an old guy who wants to get some food. If you fit that demographic, then I'd suggest you avoid Fox and Hound, if possible.

After dinner we went back to our respective homes, Mom to Mulvane, us to Lawrence. I had a 6 a.m. flight to catch the next morning so we couldn't stick around any longer.

A great trip, with the usual sad moments sprinkled in here and there that we're still not used to.

1 comment:

tsweeten said...

"Hell yes, I've got a lot of sausage!"

The double entendre in that line made me shoot soda out my nose when I read it