Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Cha-ching!


What could possibly make the Jayhawks 2008 National Championship better?
Winning MONEY on said National Championship!
No, I didn't win my office pool. (And as I pointed out to my beautiful wife, this was the one year you really didn't want to win the office pool. If you picked four number one seeds in the Final Four, all that shows is that you lack imagination!)
What I did win... was $80 on a $20 bet I placed in Vegas on the 'Hawks to win it this year.
4 to 1 odds, I know, brutal. I made the bet towards the end of the Big 12 season. I was hoping for longer odds on the 'Hawks, but Vegas, they know their stuff.
But then, there was a twist to this story. See, I didn't buy the ticket in person. A friend bought it for me.
And then, when the 'Hawks started looking better and better in the tourney, I remembered that I never got that ticket from my friend! But I didn't want to ask for it, not wanting to jinx my 'Hawks. I figured as soon as I asked for the ticket, they'd lose. So I kept my mouth shut.
And then we won! And I was in Augusta when I got an email from my friend, wanting to know if I cashed my ticket yet.
I told her I needed to get the ticket from her first!
But then she replied and told me.. she already gave me the ticket. In fact, she remembered me putting it in my wallet, and saying that I was going to "keep it someplace safe."
Uh-oh. I had no recollection of ever being handed this ticket. But you know, I drank a lot during the Final Four. It was entirely possible I killed those specific brain cells.
As soon as I got back from the Masters, I started searching my house for this ticket. I looked in every nook and cranny, places I knew were dead ends, but I hated the idea of losing this ticket!
I gave up on the ticket about a week ago. I figured it was worth the $20 I lost on a would-be winning ticket, to have the 'Hawks win it all. Heck, I was already making plans next year for buying another $20 ticket, and then quickly 'losing' it. If that's the price for a Jayhawk championship, I'm willing to pay.
Then, tonight, my phone rang. It was my friend. "Uhm, did you ever cash in that KU ticket?" she asked. "No... I'm afraid I can't find it." "Uh... that's because it's still in my purse."
Alright! I'm not going crazy, and I'm $80 richer! Whoo-hoo! This ticket is like the game itself, I was resigned to losing it, and then, poof, it somehow ends up roses.
I had a good laugh over the whole thing. My friend had a great line. "Sorry about the confusion... Old people: We don't steal your money, but we might forget where we put it!"
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

No comments: