Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I'm wide awake, it's morning.




  • Don't know why I'm awake at 3 a.m. this morning. It could be any reason:

Maybe it's because I started reading a book about the Bataan Death March last night.

Maybe the movie 'Cloverfield' is sticking with me (was I having a nightmare? I really don't remember)

Maybe I wanted to listen to Radiohead's 'In Rainbows' really bad.

Maybe I just went to bed too darn early.

  • Hmm. No worries. I'll still get another three hours of sleep, and meanwhile, I can update the blog, which I hadn't done since Monday, or so.

So, the results of our latest poll... it was a weak poll, I'll admit. I asked 'what band is Evey rocking out to,' just to test the musical mettle of Evey's readers... I don't need to do that, if you're here, you're obviously a brilliant individual who knows a lot about the ways of the word. Regardless, it was indeed the Rollins Band that was singing, "Get some, go again" in Evey's most recent video. Eight people correctly said so, while one person guessed the Pixies and one person guessed Black Flag (in which Rollins was a member of before they broke up). I was the one that guessed the U-Foes twice, just to mess around. If there's a band called the U-Foes, I'd be surprised. The only U-Foes I know of are an old enemy of the West Coast Avengers, so, yeah, that was only funny to me. And maybe Travis.

Sorry.

There is a new, slightly better, poll. Hopefully you'll feel inclined to vote in this one as well.

I'm looking back and finding plenty of typos. This is a good sign. Maybe I should get back to sleep soon.

Before I go, I want to tell you what I thought of CLOVERFIELD...

There is no message to be taken from Cloverfield, no lesson to be learned. It's just four twenty-somethings RUNNING FOR THEIR FREAKING LIVES. FROM A MONSTER.

If that sounds bad to you, I'd suggest you avoid this movie.

The whole movie is seemingly shot on one camcorder. So yeah, the camera bounces like crazy. I'll be honest, I got pretty nauseous, I had to take a 10-minute break at one point. I'm not real good with motion sickness type stuff anyway, for example, I'm not very good at reading a book in a moving car, it makes me sick most of the time. for Cloverfield, I got up, feeling a little sweaty, like I might need to throw up, I went to the bathroom and splashed some water on my face, then got a Sprite (Sierra Mist now. Why is it Sierra Mist everywhere? Do the kids not find Sprite hip?) and went back into the theater. I wanted to take a few more minutes to feel better, but I couldn't stand not seeing what was going on. I went back in.

The thing about this movie, to me, was that I felt like I was in the movie -- like I was one of the characters. I felt like I was 'Hud' and I was the one filming this thing, and I was simply looking through the eye of the camcorder. This really sucked me into the film, obviously.

The characters are OK (kinda dumb), the story is pretty basic... but the action is just off-the-charts. And not in a Die Hard vein, but in a 'we're running for our lives, we have very little chance of survival here, people!'

The climax was amazing. It really made me forget that I was in a movie theater. It made me feel more like I was in a fantastic nightmare, one where you're tossing and turning for the entire time, but then, suddenly, something in your mind suddenly grants you an easy-to-fire bazooka, or a giant hammer, and you suddenly think, 'Hey, I might actually WIN in this nightmare!'

And then, the epilogue... I really wanted to high-five my buddy Sean, because I didn't know exactly how it would end, but the end they gave me was very satisfying.

So, yeah, BIG THUMB'S up. I wish it didn't make me sick but it was worth it.

(By the way, the movie wasn't ever grotesque or anything... there's not a ton of blood and guts.)

I look forward to watching this on DVD so it isn't as hard on my equilibrium. But this is something you should see in the theaters, especially to get the full impact of the sound. Sound is important in this one, my friend.

I'll stop rambling now. Good night (morning).

2 comments:

Commodore Lerve said...

Get to bed...

Monster Monkey said...

I really want to see Cloverfield- after reading this I'm trying to convince the wife to see it today.
And it was me who guessed Black Flag, thinking that you might be trying to pull a fast one.

Always keep'em guessing.