Tuesday, January 15, 2008

GWAA entries summary


I'm a member of the Golf Writers Association of America. Been a member three, maybe four years now. Every year I try to win one of their writing awards... it's a goal of mine, a dream, really. I'd be so honored to win a GWAA award (even an honorable mention!). To step up and accept an award on the same dais as Tiger Woods and Lorena Ochoa, as well as such writers as Dan Jenkins and Ron Green... Someday, I really hope to break through and get my name in that list of winners.


Anyway, I sent off my entries recently, six in all (click here to read one entry, about Evey and me on the golf course). I might be at a disadvantage because I'm writing for an industry pub, rather than just covering "golf" in general... but who knows, it may be an advantage, too.


Here's how many entries the GWAA received this year.... not a ridiculous amount, really.


* Internet – News 30, Columns 53 (I entered two), Features 28, Special Projects 10
* Non-Daily – News 39, Columns 67 (I entered two), Features 78 (I entered one), Special Projects 48 (I entered one)
* Daily – News 33, Columns 32, Features 42, Special Projects 15


Wish me luck! I'll hear the usual bad news in a month or so. The winners are officially recognized at the annual Golf Writers awards dinner in Augusta, Ga. during Masters week.

2 comments:

Neuty and Trish said...

Good luck man! Just don't forget us little people when you crack the big time!

Besides, I've got enough blackmail stories for an unauthorizied biography...

Commodore Lerve said...

Well, let's hope Neuty entered some of his blog entries as submissions as well. That'll definitely push up the odds.

Hey, it's only a matter of time. We believe in your greatness!