Thursday, March 10, 2016

Big 12 Tourney time; my lone R.E.M. story

Who's ready for the Big 12 Tournament?

THIS GUY!

***

Saw Deadpool this afternoon.

I went to Legends 14 and caught the 4:25 show. I was literally the only person in the theater. Adrianne asked me, "Did that make you feel like a champion, or a loser?"

If you know me, you know it made me feel like a CHAMPION. In my mind, I had rented out the entire theater for a private showing.

Sometimes you just gotta wear your undies on your head.
My review? It was good, not great. Too many people built it up for me, I think.

I'm kinda glad that I didn't take Adrianne along, like I had planned, because I don't think she would have enjoyed it much.

But then again, maybe I'm just getting old and curmudgeonly. It's possible.

***

Watched a documentary on R.E.M. tonight. Interesting band. I think, had I been born just a few years earlier, I'd have been a huge R.E.M. fan. As it is, I'm a mild fan, interested, like some of their music, but felt like I maybe missed the boat on their peak years.

(Monster is my favorite R.E.M. album.)

I have one R.E.M. story.

When I was a kid, my sister scored us R.E.M. tickets. This was probably 1995 or 1996, I was still in high school at the time. I drove up for the show, and was pumped... it must have been the first time I ever traveled to see a show. I'm sure Mom was terrified. But when Sis and Mark moved to KC, I'd drive up from time to time to hang out with them and crash at their place, it was fun. (Remind me to write about the time I took them to the comic convention...)
Me and my pal David Hay. I joke with David that he's my golf course
superintendent dad. I've known him for almost 20 years, and he
calls me "son." 


So we've got lawn seats at Sandstone. I got into town early, and Jess is driving me around KC, showing me some of the sights. We've got the Lazer, 105.9 on the radio (RIP LAZER). The DJ comes on and says, "Hey, the R.E.M. show was sold out, but I'm told they just released some tickets..."

I don't remember if we drove to the box office, or stopped at the local grocery store that served as a Ticketmaster outlet... but we upgraded our tickets, and went from the lawn to having seats in row EE.

We got to Sandstone early, hoping to sell our lawn seats. We sold them in a heartbeat, might have even made a little money on the deal. Then we walked into Sandstone.

This was when there were seats all the way to the front of Sandstone. I figured EE was probably the 30th row or so, pretty good stuff. Then we walk in, and the back was row 86, or whatever. We keep walking down closer, and we come up on row Z. So we keep walking closer, and we come upon row ZZ. Turns out row AA was the front row — we had 5th row seats for R.E.M.!

I remember when Michael Stipe walked out, he was wearing a suit that looked like it was made out of a disco ball. The spotlight was shining on him, and he was reflecting light everywhere. A pretty cool entrance. (Maybe the only more memorable entrance I can think of is Brian Setzer at the Hurricane. OH! And the Beastie Boys at Kemper. Best exit? Either Scott from Local H at the Granada, or Doughty from Soul Coughing at the Bottleneck.)
That's me with Rex Walters, one of my favorite Jayhawks ever.
I'm hammered in this photo, taken at the Oakland airport.
Rex has a much bigger noggin than I do. ROCK CHALK!!!


The show is rocking, we're only two songs in, and Stipe is looking down towards us. The girl seated right in front of us waves at him, and he waves back. She falls over in her seat, stunned that Stipe acknowledged her.

The song ends, and Stipe looks down at her and asks her how she's doing. Then he starts joking with her. "Were you surprised I waved back at you? Do you think I can't see you? You're in the fourth row! Now, the people back there I can't see... but I can see you!"

It was cool, because even though he wasn't talking to us directly, he was talking about where we were sitting... and even threw a dig in at the seats we originally had.

I always thought Jess and Mark were the coolest, but that concert really cemented that idea! (Jess also bought me Pearl Jam tix at Century II in Wichita, for the Vs. tour... I was 16.)

***

Boydee finished swimming lessons today, and got glowing reviews. He's ready for Rod and Lupe's pool.

***

Happy to report that Evey was back to her normal self today... not grumpy. Sweet. Melosa.

***

I've been hitting the gym lately (well, the last three days in a row.) I start off my workout by shooting hoops, seeing how many 3-pointers I can hit in 20 minutes. It works up a good sweat. The first day I had 42, then 30 and 31. After hoops, I go lift for a little bit.

Today I was just getting started, when the parks and rec director, whom I know, walked in with the fire marshall to inspect the fire exits, alarms, etc.

When the ball bounced over their direction, I popped out my earbuds and took advantage of the situation.

"Did someone call the fire marshall? Because I'm on FIRE!"

Gary said, "No, you're fine, we're just looking at the fire exits."

The fire marshall, meanwhile, laughed out loud.

No comments: