Sunday, January 3, 2010

2009 Best Restaurants


Someone help! Our furlough is coming to an end! OK, it’s good news, actually. Because, frankly, I like getting paid. But man, me, Adro and Evey enjoyed being at home, sipping warm cocoa (and cold Boulevard Wheat) and just relaxing. I think now that we’re at this new house in Eudora, we’ve all become homebodies. There are 100 ways to entertain ourselves here at the new house. We just love it. We took down the Christmas tree and all the Christmas decorations. I’m glad, because after a while the Christmas tree and everything start taking up space, rather than simply being festive. But Evey really dug the Christmas tree, and she wants to know where it went. We’re happy to tell her it’s in the garage, and she understands. She’s not mad or anything, but… she’s started using “Christmas tree” as a slang term, like “dude.” For example, “You made a good breakfast, Christmas tree.” Or, “Good night, Christmas tree.” I don’t get it, but whatever. I call both Evey and Adrianne “Christmas tree” now, too. I promised two weeks ago that I’d have some top-10 lists… and I finally have them. Not only did we wrap up a year, but we also wrapped up a decade, one that I actually recall pretty well (conversely, I couldn’t tell you what was on TV in 1991). So I’ll have both “best of” 2009 lists as well as “best of” the 2000s. We’ll start with my best restaurants of 2009: Best Restaurants 1. Casa Agave: The service is excellent and the food is authentic. They have a great margarita special on Mondays – try that jumbo margarita for $7 (split it with one or two people) and try to tell me that’s not a deal.
2. Applebee’s on 6th street: Me and Adro have been hitting this place for lunch semi-regularly. I never really liked the Applebee’s on Iowa, but the 6th St. location is a happy combination of fast service, good food and a fun setting.
3. Glory Days Pizza: Another lunch spot for me and Adro. I think a slice of their meat lover’s, fresh, is the best piece of pizza I can buy without going to Chicago right now. Plus, I’d call the prices there “a deal” which is nice.
4. Granite City Brewery (The Legends): We don’t get there often and when we do, it’s always packed. The food just strikes me as high quality. A little bit pricey, though. I’m happy me and Adro are homebodies now, because if she liked to go out a lot, I’d be taking her there, and spending a lot of money.
5. Anthony’s (Eudora): Honestly, I’ve only eaten there once. Based on that one time, I’m thinking it might just be awesome. The last experience there inspired me to write about the ideal biscuits and gravy, which they have. I’ll know more about them soon.
6. Gambino’s Pizza (Eudora): Decent pie, less than a mile from my house. I would not, however, advise mixing their pizza with Jameson’s whiskey. What are your favorite restaurants this year? Anything I need to know about?

No comments: