Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July, 2009







I hope you had a fun 4th of July. I had a really great one.

My folks came up and hung out with the Jones Family (Lawrence Chapter) all day and we just relaxed, mostly. Evey entertained us with a song or two, then we took the party outside for a nice barbecue. Me and my dad wrapped it up by checking out the inaugural "Tour of Lawrence" cycling race and then eating homemade shortcakes with our strawberries and vanilla ice cream.

Was that amazingly cool weather for a 4th of July, or what?

I only have two regrets about the 4th:

1) I told my friend Brian that we'd come out to their place for the festivities, and we didn't make it. I'm sure Brian didn't notice our absence, but I hate being one of those people who says they're going to do something and they don't (a flake, you might say). So, apologies, Brian -- things got busy for us, pushed back by a late Evey nap, and I decided to keep the family at home.

2) Much more serious, my dad still isn't feeling well. Check out that photo of Evey dancing with the tambourine -- you can tell he doesn't feel well. It's not fun seeing your personal hero in bad shape. He promised me he'd go see another doctor, and I'm going to hold him to it, because it's obvious he's not feeling like himself. GO SEE ANOTHER DOC, DAD, WE'RE WORRIED ABOUT YOU.

The cycling race, btw, was very cool. We only checked it out for a little while, but it was exciting. Way more exciting than the article in Sunday's LJW would lead you to believe. (I might even have to write a letter, that article was so bad.) My photos of the event suck, and do not do it justice. I'm shooting with no viewfinder, since I've managed to break another digital camera... but those dudes were screaming on their bikes. Neat thing to see in downtown Lawrence.

1 comment:

Neuty and Trish said...

I agree with you on the bike race...that was pretty cool (and yeah, also a terrible article). It was fun to watch Bella track the cyclists as they zoomed past.