Monday, June 15, 2009

Random thoughts




There's a thunderstorm rolling our way. Under a tornado watch. I definitely prefer the daytime tornado watches over the nighttime tornado watches. But all tornado watches suck.

Life is like my Brita -- you only get out what you put in.

Most listened to song on my computer? Radiohead's "All I need." Playcount: 78
Band I've saved on my computer, but have hardly listened to any of it: Badly Drawn Boy

Days I've not had keg beer on my kegerator: 11. Why have you forsaken me, 23rd Street Brewery?

I just inadvertently erased all the ratings on every Pearl Jam song on my computer. Oh well. At least I still have all the songs. Why rate my music? I don't know, it's just sort of fun. I like to judge things.

Song I want played at my funeral? Pearl Jam's "Light Years," off their album Binaural. Oh, and War's "Cisco Kid." Humor me, I'm dead.

Do you know what a Brita is? It's the thing you pour water into and it filters it, you leave it in your fridge and you've got cold, clean water. My editor-in-chief got us one for our wedding, and it is quite possibly the best wedding gift we got. (Well, with the exception of what you got us, of course.)


What happens on Aug. 1st? The fortune cookie told me to be ready.


Both those photos are from Texas, the first is outside Boerne, Texas, at a friend-of-the-family's, the second at our hotel room outside San Antonio. Evey's eating a peanut butter sandwich, I'm just lookin' old.


Things I wonder when someone dies too young: Did he eat a good last meal? If he knew what his expiration date was, would he have handled yesterday differently? Did he leave behind a good book unfinished?


Thing John Wake was looking forward to that he didn't live long enough to see: Spider-Man 2. Seriously.


Just like the "born on" date on your beer, we also have expiration dates, like milk.


That was a good time. Hopefully I'm not so obtuse that I didn't realize it at the time. I think I knew.


Here in a few weeks, I'm going to go back to my hometown and help my dad take down my old basketball goal. That's like buying some chloroform and soaking an old rag with it, then hiding in a closet and waiting for your inner child to wander by.


That last one was probably a complete miss, but I liked it.


My friend Parker came by on Sunday. He's a Jehova's Witness. We're on a first-name basis. He asks me about my golf magazine, I ask him about the conversions. I don't know what the hell he's talking about, but he's a friendly guy. Next time he comes by, I'm going to invite him to the Laugh Olympics.


I read somewhere that "No" was the most commonly heard word to a child. So I try to avoid using it. If I don't like something Evey is doing, I use the more friendly, "nope-a-dope." It's sing-songy, it's not real harsh. Yesterday, I gave Evey a "nope-a-dope," and she responded with "yup-a-dup."


My daughter knows that the incredible Hulk is green. I did not teach her this.


I don't know that life is really like a Brita. But I'd like to think it is.

No comments: