Sunday, January 11, 2009

Madagascar 2


It was a pretty fun weekend for the Jones family. It started off with a few beers with my old pal Jack and some GCSAA friends, then off to see a friend's band play at Granada... then Saturday we uh, went to JCPenney's (great fun!)... but on Sunday, we took Evey to see her first movie in the theater... Madagascar 2!


OK, technically it wasn't her first movie in the theater. That honor goes to Ghost Rider. Yeah, daddy took her to a matinee when she was a tiny three-month-old. She slept through the whole thing.


So this was the first movie... Evey watched in a theater.


She loved it. She was a bit shocked at first -- we walked in when a commercial was playing on-screen. The booming sound, the giant screen... she didn't want to enter the theater at first.


But then a preview for that new movie with the mouse in it came on, and she was hooked.


There were only 15 people in the theater, and they all had kids. But none of their kids shouted, "Zee-ba! Zee-ba! Zee-ba!" when Marty the Zebra made his first on-screen appearance. Similarly, those kids didn't shout, "Moment! Moment!" during the opening credits.


Those kids obviously don't know how to enjoy a good movie.


Evey watched pretty much the whole movie. She cracked us up. She'd talk to the screen every once in a while. When there was a dancing scene at the end, Evey wanted to dance along, so she stood up on my lap, held both of my hands, and started jumping up and down, dancing.


When the movie ended, she clapped. Then she looked at me and signed for "more."


Good times. Evey will sleep well tonight. (I ran her around the mall after the movie while Adro shopped.)



  • Just finished a decent book, World War Z. It's a first-person account of the events (before, during and after) of the world zombie war. There are dozens of people telling their stories. I picked it up on a whim from the library on Monday (the author, Max Brooks, was in Chicago for the comic convention, so I had one of our reporters interview him). It was a pretty good read! I'm not into serious horror, so I was a bit hesitant. But it's light on the gory stuff, more a matter-of-fact report on how the humans WON the zombie war. Pretty clever stuff. I'll write a full review for the next issue of Pulp Legacy (and spare you the details).

  • What did I think of Madagascar 2? Not as good as the first one. This one has more anxiety in it... we've got a son taken from his family, a family cast out, a suicidal giraffe and a gun-wielding grandma. The first one didn't have nearly as much stress. Well, besides Alex trying not to eat his friend. Still, I laughed a few times. I've seen worse (Bee Movie).

  • Our next movie for Evey? Probably Watchmen on 3/6/9.

  • I've got lots of cool photos for the blog this week, including a video, if I can just take the time to upload it. It's the first of a new series called "Adro's Advice" (working title) where my lovely wife solves all our reader's problems. You don't want to miss it!

2 comments:

Eddie said...

Weird world (I guess this is weird, maybe more coincidence then weird, but anyway) but Seth's first move was the original Madagascar (I don't know what that means).

tsweeten said...

Hey, I work at JC Penneys! But I'm in salon and it's kind of like the red-headed stepchild of the store, so it doesn't really count.

Watchmen might not be opening in March (or anytime at all) if Fox has it's way.

I have yet to take my kids to the movies. I gave some thought to taking them to Madagascar 2 but it's just me and my two kids can be...spirited...at times. I'm pencilling in Transformers 2 this summer for Emery (he LOVES Transformers). We'll have to wait and see if something comes along for Emma.

You, sir, are definitely up for world-class father awards. Just think how much fun it will be when Evey has a little brother/sister to share in the fun (cue maniacal laughter).