Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Dolls, coupons, princesses

I might be starting to crack a little bit.

For the last few nights, Evey has really wanted my attention. Adro and Judy can be sitting right there doing nothing, and I can be obviously busy doing something, and Evey will be saying, "Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad."

And then there's the, "What, Evey?"

And she'll point to this bubble bath bottle she has. It has Snow White (or Cinderella, whoever), Sleeping Beauty (I think) and the Little Mermaid on it.

"Who's that?" she'll ask.

"The Little Mermaid."

"Who's that?" she'll ask, pointing to the next character.

"Snow White."

"Who's that?"

"Sleeping Beauty," I'll say, finishing the trio. She'll look at me for a full beat, and then,

"Daddy! Who's that?"

"THE LITTLE MERMAID."

Do you know how I occupied Evey for about 30 minutes the other day? She saw her mom cutting coupons. Then Adro gave her some coupons which she didn't want. So I told Evey to go get her grocery store cash register. It's got pictures of food on it where there would be numbers; a little gun that does the scanning; even a little microphone that you can grab and say, "I got a price check -- Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch. PRICE CHECK!" (the microphone doesn't technically work, though I use it anyway... we have to do a lot of price checks in my house.)

So I hand Evey a coupon, tell her I want to save 55 cents on bean dip. She grabs the coupon, then scans it. About twenty times. Then I hand her the next coupon, and tell her I want to save $1 on Chex Mix. She then scans that coupon thirty times.

We did this for thirty minutes. Coupon, coupon, coupon. Scan, scan, scan.

I can't help but think, somewhere, a father just like me is playing with Matchbox cars. Or G.I. Joe. Or worse, Spider-Man.

You know how close I get to playing Spider-Man? Two ways:
1. Evey loves the itsy bitsy spider. Oh, great, I can sing the itsy bitsy spider.
2. The other day, she walked up to the Spider-Man chair my sister got her, and she said, "Here, Spider-Man... take your medicine!"

SPIDER-MAN DOES NOT TAKE MEDICINE.

He was bitten by a $&%^$#&* radioactive spider, and he does not need medicine. What he needs is to kick some ass, villains like Sandman, Mysterio, Hobgoblin, Electro. He needs to WEB-SWING!

But, nooooo. My kid is giving Spider-Man medicine.

Medicine.

6 comments:

route56 said...

Would you like to borrow my cousin Carl for a day?

Commodore Lerve said...

Itsy bitsy spider, yup, been there with Evelyn. But, who doesn't like that game? My nephew loves it, but yes, he loves car cars more. Super heroes, well, we're taking small steps. Is Sponge Bob a super hero?

Kendall said...

Seth,
If it makes your feel any better Grey LOVES cars, trucks & general "boy stuff" BUT when we were buying his first underoos he actually requested Little Mermaid AND he plans to ask Santa for a Dollhouse next Christmas...It's a gamble. And, let's not forget that Evelyn seems to have a love of Shrek who has a lot of "dude" qualities.

Seth said...

She doesn't really like Shrek that much anymore, but she LOVES PRINCESS FIONA. She asks me to fast forward through the parts when it's just Shrek and Donkey, no Fiona.

I'll pass on Carl for now, but someday, I may need to take him to the demolition derby or something.

Sponge Bob may be worse than the princesses, I'm sure I'll find out!

tsweeten said...

Emery likes to pretend he IS spiderman. So he runs through the house, curling his middle two fingers backward and throwing his hands out and says, "Pow!". In the process, he has broken a lamp, a handful of glasses, and knocked a hole in the wall vis-a-vis knocking a chair over. Consider yourself lucky you dont' have to play spiderman.

Eddie said...

If it makes you feel better, my Seth likes spiderman, and batman, but not superman so much....of course these all take a back seat to star wars.