Saturday, February 23, 2008

Saturday Night Live


So, it's Saturday night. What am I doing? Why, I'm making refried beans. And working on freelance stories. And watching college basketball. And downloading the Black Lips. And drinking various rums in my Coke.


What are you doing?



  • This post fueled by a rum my brother-in-law brought me back from St. Lucia. Thank you, Mark, that really was good stuff (Bounty).

  • Note to my city league basketball team: bad officiating is at all levels. Take the college scene today. Yeah, they let one guy shoot 20 free throws against KU, but what was really awful was that 5-second call against Rush. Whoa! And in the Memphis/Tennessee game, there were several bad calls, the worst of which was a Tennessee player cutting off his defender's drive by moving his feet, and they whistled Tenn for the touch foul. Good D rewarded with a foul. Frustrating.

  • Yeah, Trav, I didn't answer your call tonight. I was too pissed off to talk to an Okie Stater immediately after the game. You understand.

  • You know, my wife is funny. She's shy, too, so I feel the need to let people know, that my wife is really capable of some solid humor, it's just that the general public doesn't get to see it very often. Tonight's one-liner: I walk into the bedroom to say goodnight to her and Evey wearing the jacket pictured. Adrianne says good night, then she asks me, "Are you going somewhere? ...Like 1980?"

  • You should check this out: http://www.rorrimkcalb.com/arcadefire.html It's Arcade Fire's "Black Mirror," where you can remix it a little bit by dropping certain ingredients from the song. I suggest rocking the song out with 1, 2 and 6. Despite what Rolling Stone said, this song is great because of the drums.
  • Hey, I need some of my guy friends to advise: Should I watch Platoon? It was on Starz tonight... I remember the suicide scene really freaking me out as an 11-year-old... and I never finished it for that reason. But the cast looks great. Let me know if I should try it... also, let me know if any women or children are brutally murdered, because that freaks me out too.

  • It snowed tonight.

More later, as it comes to me.

2 comments:

tsweeten said...

You know, you should have answered...we could have had an insightful discussion about the game. I would have never tried to rub the loss in your face. Ok State is riding a wave right now but that doesn't override the fact that they still won't make the tourney and KU is looking at no worse than a 3 or 4 seed, depending on the Big XII tourney. KU just played sloppy and Ok State took advantage (yes, there were some questionable calls but that happens. And the game really didn't come down to a questionable call. KU had every opportunity to win...in fact, I thought they were going to do just that with about 5 to play).

I always knew Adro had a scathing sense of humor. It's that smirk you see peeking out in some of her pics that gives it away.

Commodore Lerve said...

Looking at the stats of the game, I don't know how we lost (didn't see the game) but that's college basketball. Refs are human, they make mistakes. Grandfather Boyd knows all about officiating, it's all interpretating of the rules and the play in front of people.

If no one complained on good calls, then I can understand complaining on the bad ones. But it's now a part of the game, coaches HAVE to say something or they don't look like they care.

And for the record as well, A to the Dro is one of the funnier people I know. Slyly funny. Almost "behind the green curtain Oz-like" funny. Hell, she knows humor, as evident by her laughing at almost everything funny I say.