Sunday, February 24, 2008

Kid's meals


I asked aloud the other day, "How old do you think Evey will be when we buy her her first kid's meal?"

See, up to this point, we had ordered food where we could share our meals with Evelyn and she'd have a solid meal. But then, something snuck up on us... Evey keeps getting bigger and bigger, as does her appetite.

I think I guessed she'd be 2, maybe a little older, when we ordered her her first kid's meal.


Barely a few weeks later, I found us ordering her a kid's meal. It happened last weekend while we were in Wichita. Her first kid's meal was a Sonic Wacky Pack grilled cheese sandwich and milk. She was 14-months-old.

That was for lunch. For dinner, we found ourselves at Chili's, where we ordered her the kids mac and cheese.

So, in my mind, this is so cool, because guess what? More food for me. And every once in a while, a cool toy.

Idiot. It's also more money outta my pocket!

Oh well, she's worth it. We have fun with the kids meals when we're out to eat. This last weekend we were in Topeka (at Baby Depot, natch) and afterwards we went to Ruby Tuesday's or T.G.I. Friday's, one of the weekdays, I'm not sure which one, and we ordered her the kid's chicken tenders and mashed potatoes. Poor Evey had to fight for those mashed potatoes... they were really good!

So, now I know... only 14-months-old, but costing me an extra $5 or $6 when we go out to eat.

2 comments:

tsweeten said...

I remember the first time we took Emery out to eat with us and ordered him his own food. It was at Chili's and we got him a side of mac and cheese. Mostly we got it for him so he would have something to entertain himself while Heather and I ate. Wouldn't you know it, he ate the whole thing. Sucked it up like it was oxygen and he was suffocating. The kicker to all this is that we had just stuffed him with baby food (3 jars) before we left. Of course now we have to pry his jaws apart to get him to eat (Emma has taken over the title of big eater in our family...that girl can put away the food).

mar said...

Kids' tastes can be so fickle sometimes. And if you ask them what they want to eat, they may not even know what they want or they'll change their mind at the last minute (or, worse, when the meal arrives). At least Racheal is like that. There's a lot more healthy stuff on kids' menus now, too, which is a relief. Lots of apple slices. Do either of your kids like Ranch dressing? Ray is OBSESSED with Ranch. She'll put that stuff on anything. She'll put it on the apple slices (so it kinda balances out, health-wise).