Tuesday, January 30, 2018

You're the best one in your row

Evey and Boyd before Boyd's kindergarten musical.
So we need help.

We need you all (Judy, and maybe Copy Jesus, if he's been cool with the lack of posts lately) to help us with a Jones family contest. We need a name for a simple dish that I made the other day... because it doesn't have a name.

NO... you don't get to choose the name (sorry Judy, no tomatoes con Frida Kahlo!) but you have to help us choose the name...

Each Jones got to submit a name. I offered $20 to the winner.

Dinner was simple... it was tube pasta (whatever that's called) tomato sauce with hamburger. Croissants on the side. Cob salad (lettuce, hard boiled egg, cheese, bacon, ranch) as the opener.

But what do we call this simple pasta dish, or maybe this dinner? At my house it was called... goulash, maybe. It wasn't a thing, really. It was a, "We've got nothing!" meal. But the kids dig it, and they want me to make it again. I told them, it needs a name.
Looking for Boyd? Look for the lad in the center of the photo... doing "hips and lips," whcih means. "everyone be quiet!"
He did hips and lips for the first two minutes of the program, while kids were singing. (Boyd is directly above the mic with the yellow scarf.)


So vote in our poll for the name you like best. The poll will be unveiled soon. I will not tell you who suggested which name. Just know there's a $20 riding on it, Lervik.

***

Nice W by the 'Hawks tonight. Kind of thought KSU would put up a better fight. 

It's the same thing for KSU every year. They've got to fire their coach. They had a chance to beat us in Lawrence this year... and they ran a non-play to close the game. 

Now. they've seemed to regress since then.

If I was a KSU fan, I don't think I could handle it... you got to send Weber away.

***

My top three albums, as of this second in my life:


3. Interpol, Turn on the Bright Lights
3. Harvey Danger, Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone?
3. Pearl Jam, No Code
2. Radiohead, OK Computer
1. Soundgarden, Superunknown

*** 

We had a busy afternoon... I took the kids out of school early because Boyd had a doctor's appointment. We stopped at the house for a hot minute (I said it was so Boyd could brush his teeth but really I was expecting an important email) and then we were back out the door.

I told the kids, "We need gas!" before we left Eudora... unless the gas station was full... so we pulled in... every stall? TAKEN. 

So I rolled out, cussing. As this happened, the gas warning on the truck started to beep. This freaked out Evey.

Party like it's 2016!
Then we got on K-10. I drove about a mile when I saw cardboard flapping in the bed of the truck. "$hit!" I shouted. Over the weekend I stashed this cardboard in the bed of the truck, pinned down by lawn chairs, in a half-ass attempt to clean the garage. In defense of the 2.5 Amazon packages that arrive at my house every day (including 18 rolls of toilet paper a day. The Amazon drivers won't look me in the eye because they must be worries about catching the epic case of the shits that I surely must have, based on this amount of toilet paper) I tried to keep this cardboard out of my recycle bins (even thoughI now have two.) And now it's about to fly into the Prius behind me on K-10.

So I drove slow and got off the road. Stashed it in the cab of the truck, to later be recycled at a random business "cardboard only!" bin.

We went out to dinner and I asked the family if I should stop and get gas. They all said yes... but I said no. In my mind I said, "I'm the Captain now," and kept driving. The needle was on E, but if I could make it to Eudora, I could save 70 cents a gallon.

Evey shouted, "I don't want to die!" I explained that this was not a life/death situation (necessarily) and they could trust me... I drive the truck this far down on E all the time.

Evey was not amused. We coasted to Eudora, with plenty of fuel to spare. I decided to take the family home, rather than wasting eberyone's time while I filled up.

"Now Dad's just showing off!" Adrianne said. "I can see his smirk." 

There was a little bit of an argument over if I was smirking, as we got out of the truck. 

Inside the house, I did my Bruno Mars dance (it's something to behold.) Evey was not only unimpressed, I think she was also offended. So I threw the dinner receipt at her.

This set her off. And now she might want to fight me. Over gas, and the audacity of dancing just as good as Bruno Mars. But that's me, Evey, that's Dad. 

And that's the new 11-year-old Evey... sometimes ANGRY!

***

Photos included in this post are from Boyd's kindergarten music recital...

And my awesome drive maximizing the savings we could get from Kwik Shop!

For the record... the 1999 1500 Dodge Ram has a fuel capacity of 26.5 gallons.

Oh, and Boyd sang great. Like a bird. He's so talented at singing with 120 other kids!!!





1 comment:

Grandma Judy said...

Add corn to the goulash next time.
Goulash is what I called it. Throw in a mild pepper and call it Mexican goulash.