Sunday, March 31, 2013

Evey, egg hunter


Hope you had a nice Easter. I know we did. 

My mom came up to visit, and we all went up to Shawnee to hit the buffet at my sister's country club. They had an Easter egg hunt, as well as live rabbits to pet, and a bunny mascot to get photographed with. We missed the bunny mascot, though.

Cute story from this Easter: Last night, Adianne tells me she's worried because she didn't go all-out on the kids' Easter baskets this year. Doesn't know if she'll have enough loot to make it look good for Evey.

In previous years, Adro has really gotten into Easter. I can remember some Easters where there's a giant basket, wrapped in yellow cellophane, waiting for Evey when she wakes up.

This year wouldn't be as good, Adro said, because she hadn't picked up as much stuff lately. Late last night she scrambled to see what she could cobble together. It turned into two pretty decent gift baskets for the kids. There was no way Evey would sense that the Easter bunny has been hit by the down economy, I thought to myself.

So Adrianne tells me to remind her to set them out before Evey wakes up.

The last two years we set the baskets down by the front door. Santa uses the chimney, the Easter bunny uses the front door, I guess.

At about 6:45 this morning Adro woke me up and asked me to get the baskets set out ASAP. "Where do you want me to put them?" I asked her, groggy from a restless night with a slightly-sick Boyd Atticus. "Put them on the back deck," Adro instructed. So I headed to the back deck, real stealthy, so as not to wake up Evey. I successfully got them on the back deck without being noticed. Shut the curtains. Back to bed.

I hear Mom and Evey up a little later. All of a sudden, some excitement. Evey comes running back to the bedroom and wakes me up.

"DAD! The Easter bunny... left my gift basket on the BACK PORCH THIS YEAR!!!"

Which was cute enough right there. But then, after we brought them in, and the dust settled, it got even cuter, as Evey recounted the way the morning played out.

Evey woke up and checked the area inside the front door. She was disappointed to see nothing there. She told Noni (my mom) about this. My mom, not knowing the plan entirely, suggested Evey check the back door, in case the Easter bunny couldn't get in the front door.

She opened the curtains, and BOOM! Her mind was blown. From off the Easter bunny's list, to back on the VIP list.

That little change in the Easter bunny's routine somehow made the Easter bunny all the more real. Not only is this magical rabbit real, I guess, but he's also a problem solver. Front door locked? Leave it on the back deck. It was about as good as seeing one red-clad leg and black boot zip up the chimney on Dec. 24th. This rabbit is LEGIT.

Evey announced after opening her gifts (nothing substantial, just some colors, a chalk holder, tights and a shirt or two) that Easter was her new favorite holiday. Sorry, Christmas!

Hmm... maybe we should have Santa change up his method this year. 

"Evey, Santa got really busy this year, so it says here that he just decided to leave a gift card. ...Merry Christmas!"

 

No comments: