Thursday, August 20, 2009

Monday afternoon with my Dad

Had a great Monday afternoon with my Dad.

Went to his radiation appointment. Afterwards, we went to the Ford dealership to get an oil change on Dad's new Ford Fusion (the Jones family has always been a Chevy family, this new Ford befuddles me... but it is nice.)

Since we were way out on the west side of Wichita anyway, we checked to see the show times at the Palace movie theater. The Palace is a second-run theater, so they have older movies, but it's only $2.50 to see a movie. (I remember when it was only $1.) The Palace was pretty lonely, there was hardly anyone there, and the kid who sold me our tickets also had to walk over to concessions to sell me some hot tamales.

Dad had really been wanting to see "Public Enemy" with Johnny Depp playing the role of John Dillinger. Dad wanted to see it because parts of the story take place in Indiana. It was a pretty good movie, actually. I'd give it four out of five stars. Bloody, but great acting, interesting story.

Funny (or not-so-funny) thing happened at the theater. Me and my Dad, Dad walking with a cane, are trying to decide where to sit in the empty theater. The lady sweeping the theater bowls her way past us... and turns off the lights. The theater goes pitch black. We can't see a thing. Eventually we fumbled around and got seated. Thanks, lady. Then, the lights come back on... and they leave them on for part of the movie!

I guess this is what you get for $2.50. The movie is cheap, but the employees will try to make you fall.

We also hit a Mexican restaurant for some lunch. Pretty good stuff. Actually, I was still sick, and Dad has cancer, so neither of us could taste anything we were eating. But we ate it like it was good.

Got Dad home only 45 minutes late for his meds. I think Mom was only half-mad.

Great time hanging out with my Dad. And he's looking good for a guy who had brain surgery only three weeks ago.

1 comment:

Commodore Lerve said...

Boyd still has the lady-killer looks. Mom and I were talking about Boyd the other day, she of course wanting to know how the family was doing. I asked her if she remembered Boyd, she said:

"Oh yeah, always remember him being the tall, handsome looking man."

If only that would have trickled down to his son...