Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Republicans! Pheh.

Photo of me and Evey at the KU game last Saturday...

Watched most of the Republican Convention tonight. Had it on in the background while I worked, at least. Some quick thoughts (I know, politics....)

Palin did well, she's a good speaker. I thought she was too sarcastic, though. Seemed like she was running for student body president with all the flippant remarks, rather than vice president. I thought it was smart when she started talking about children with disablities, if I were her, I'd beat that drum.

I thought Rudy was bad. Thought his speech was bad. He set it up nicely, but then it went nowhere. He basically told me I needed to vote for McCain because he was a war prisoner. I absolutely respect McCain, but Rudy can give me more reasons than that... after all, his people voted for W for some reason, it sure as hell wasn't because of his military record. Also, Rudy came across as rude to me, when he just started laughing about how terrible of a candidate Obama was. He seemed kind of sinister up there, laughing like a fool. It's like he's trying to appeal to all the Red Staters who might be trying to come to a decision by making them think Obama is such a stupid choice, they need to never tell anyone they were considering him. Also, did Rudy have a slight lisp? Either that, or he was buzzed. He may have been buzzed, that would have explained the laughing.

Huckabee? Eh, he's fine. Didn't move me or anything. I did think his final story about the veterans bringing the desks to the kids was rather weak. But, hey, whatever. It was a story.

I thought Romney was terrible. He did a lot of the scary Republican stuff... he's the kind of guy I watch, and it spooks me to think that some of my friends may be watching him and saying, "yup, that's right, Mit."

At the end, the McCain-obot came out on the stage and systematically gave handshakes/hugs. I wonder where the real McCain was that was so important they had to send in the robot version? Or maybe there was a security threat, hence, the robot. Sadly, they forgot to program the McCain-obot with any parting comments, like, "Goodnight," or, "God bless America!" He just said, "did we pick the right vice presidential candidate or what?" And then the poor TV crews kept on him as he rolled around the stage, hands never lifting higher than his shoulders. It was an awkward ending, but robots have never been that good at parting shots, with the exception of Arnold.

No comments: