Sunday, April 30, 2023

Eudora Cardinals 5th/6th soccer, that's a wrap!


That's a wrap on Bub's soccer season. Evey still has a few games to go.

Pictured are 8 of the 12 kids on our team. Clockwise lower left to right: Lucas, Aidan, Boyd, Greyson, Caidence, Leo, Tony (Leo and Tony are brothers) and Lyla. Not pictured: Kaleb, Eli, Owen and Tyler.

We won our first game of the season then lost the next five. We were "in" all but one of the games. Trouble scoring and also a hesitance on defense, once the other team broke through. 

I'm pretty sure I cost us two of those games, based on bad substitutions. But we also lacked soccer common sense at times. The kids that were good were GOOD and then some of the other kids lacked awareness. I'm talking handballs, bad positioning, lack of effort, etc.

We had some highlights, that's for sure. Boyd tied for the Golden Boot, with three goals on the season. Lucas also had three goals on the season.

It was a good team, better than their record reflected. I've got a million excuses why... short-handed at times, slow-starting at times... 

Still I'll say they were a better team in practice than they were in games. I was that same person in my sports career. 

But I'm trying to teach them that it's fun to play, it's good to be competitive, to be teammates. And it's awesome to win while losing sucks.

Boyd LOVES soccer. The best matches we have are between him and Evey, here at the house. They're going to keep making each other better, the more they practice against each other. 


No comments: