Wednesday, May 23, 2018

The leading scorer for the Blue Blazers!

Allow me to introduce to you the LEADNG SCORER for the K/Pre-K Blue Blazers...

BOYD ATTICUS JONES!!!

***

OK, maybe I should qualify. The team went 0-6-1. So, being the leading scorer on a losing team is, well... 

He was the leading scorer, still, right???

***

OK. Fine. Full disclosure.

He had one goal. We scored three goals all season.

STILL! It was a good goal, and the first goal of the season. It was a corner-pocket rocket. 

We scored three goals all season, and Boyd scored the first. So he tied, three ways, for leading goal scorer.

NICE JOB BOYD!

***

Our team was crap this year. Not gonna lie.

I thought the team looked good early on. We had a couple big kids, we looked fast.

Then league play started. 

Oh, my, damn.

We got rolled in the first game. Second game too. We got rained out a lot. Those were our best games.

We scrimmaged a team mid-season and destroyed them. 

It was a scrimmage.

The best we did was a 1-1 tie. And we had three penalty kicks in that game. 

Regretfully, I gave the first PK to a kid who was "playing hard" and didn't give it to Boyd, even though he had the strongest leg on the team. Didn't want to show favoritism. 

I told Adrianne at halftime... if we got another PK, Boyd, "the Rifleman" in my book, was taking it. She didn't say anything. (We're both really sensitive to other players' feelings.)

Sure enough we got another PK. HERE WE GO, I thought. I lined Boyd up, told him to get it done.

He missed the sweet spot of the ball and the goalie made a save she couldn't help but to make... by standing still.

We got another PK. Gave it to the girl who drew it, who was a really good player last season.

She missed it wide. A sophomore slump all season. Thankfully, there was no drug testing in our league.

I don't know. That's possible, right? Flintstone Vitamin Downers?

***

S'all good. Season is over. I look forward to the next season. Boyd shows some promise, even though he's a little tentative. Definitely the strongest kid on this year's team.

My Evey Jones? She'll attend 6th grade next season. 

It occurs to me that... if she asked me to coach soccer, volleyball, whatever... I probably can't... because she's middle school now.

That's kinda sad for me. Maybe it'll make me appreciate the Saturday shellackings better.

But Evey is a 4.0 student. Creative, artistic, studious. 

It's all good if she doesn't need Coach Dad.

I'll be Cheerleader Dad.



No comments: