Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Boyd and Jett; Xylon-12

I wonder if Jett will be Boyd's Keath Whitaker, or Tom Birch?

If not Jett, then whom?

When I was a little guy, I had three heroes: Spider-Man, Keath and Tom. Why? Spider-Man is self-explanatory, but the guys? Mostly because they were older than me and I was impressionable, but also because they were awesome.

Keath owned a compound bow. Tom had access to a garage with power tools. They were both friends of the family.

I'm still in touch with Keath, somewhat, and his dad (Larry), more so. Larry I call every once in a while and we talk basketball. Him and my dad were pretty close. And Larry knows his college basketball.

True story: I once saw Keath shoot a fish in a stream with his compound bow (the arrow was on a stringer) and the arrow went through the fish's gill and out its mouth. 

Keep it clean!

***

I stayed up late to write my column for the new issue of Golfdom tonight. That's always a rush, even when I don't have a topic. 

It's not work when you're doing something you love.

***

Evey is convinced Boyd is an alien. Why? Because he's weird. 

Well, now she's also wondering if her Dad is an alien too. Because we're both weird.

Evey pressed me on this at dinner the other day and I finally broke: Boyd and I are aliens from the planet Xylon-12. "I knew it!" she yelled.

The next day, me, Adro, Judy, Evey and Boyd were out to dinner at El Potro. Judy beat us there. Evey and Adrianne chose to sit with Judy in the booth, leaving me and Boyd alone on the other side.

At one point Boyd quietly tooted during dinner. (I don't think anyone heard it.) I scolded him and told him that was bad manners. 

Boyd looked at me and said, "But Dad! We're from Xylon-12!"

No comments: