Monday, January 30, 2017

Locker room talk

CC

Well, well, well... look who got to tour the KU Men's Basketball facilities, including the film room, player's lounge, coaches' locker room and players' locker room?

That's right, your pal Jonesy!

My buddy Rockhold won a charity auction for the experience. He could take 9 people with him. Very cool!

Someone asked the guide at the end of the tour, "Do you give this tour all the time?" And he said not often at all, and that, in fact... we were the first non-University employees he had ever shown the locker room to!

That made us all feel privileged, even more so than we already did. Then the guide said, "Yeah, I saw that I was supposed to give a tour today and it was during a women's game... I texted my boss to confirm, he said, 'just do it.' I really figured it was the president or someone coming in here today!"

Got a good laugh.

***

Somebody left their McDonald's All-American shorts laying on the ground in the shower. I told the guys, how ballsy is that? Because you know he did it on purpose, just to yell out, "Hey, anybody seen my shorts anywhere? They say MCDONALD'S ALL-AMERICAN on them..."

***

One more thing on the facilities (and I'll happily show you all my iPhone photos next time I see you): I admire the height and width of all their doors, shower stalls, sinks, etc. 

***

Evey got a 95% on her math test today! Only missed one question. They're doing long division, and I can tell she enjoys it and really "gets" it because she always seems happy when she talks about it.

I hope she has a strong math game for a long time, because I'm worthless! Adro can of course help her out... but I just fear the day Adrianne is busy and I have to take a look at math homework... I'm screwed.

***

Adrianne leaves for GIS 2017 tomorrow... I'm up chilling, watching her pack and get ready. She's going to be gone for TEN DAYS!!! We're going to miss her.

She asked me with a straight face the other day, "Are you having a Super Bowl party?"

***

Speaking of parties, please save the date: Friday, April 28th. I'll have just turned 40 (on the 26th) and we're going to have an epic party somewhere... details to come!

***

The political climate is ridiculous right now. It feels like a sick joke.

I avoid political talk as often as possible... but I'm proud that the Joneses were contributors to the $21 million donated to the ACLU over the weekend.

***


An old Adam Strange comic. Great character design.
For bedtime stories I typically tell Boyd original Adam Strange stories. Adam Strange is an older DC Comics super hero... I always start off the stories with, "Once upon a time there was a space cowboy! And his name was... (Boyd sings, 'ADAM STRAAAAANGE!) ...and he surfed the cosmos, looking for trouble!"

I've been on a little bit of a roll lately. Recently Adam Strange visited Rylon 17-B (he usually visits Rylon-7, Boyd doesn't seem to mind) where he fought the lava monster... then last night, I told Boyd about Adam Strange's first meeting with 'Green-Gan,' a powerful alien he met at a space refueling station that was an enemy who later became an ally. I promised the story of their first team-up tonight. 

Good news/bad news: Boyd reminded me tonight I owed him the story of Adam Strange and Green-Gan's team-up. But I had mostly forgotten the details of the previous evening's story.

S'ok. I winged it. And whenever I end a story, I try to sum up why the story was important ("...and that was the time Adam Strange learned to never use a solar blaster when fighting an Umbala Bug!") And if Boyd likes the story, he'll quietly clap and say, "Good story, Dad."

I got a "Good story, Dad." tonight.

Green-Gan will go on to fight another day!

1 comment:

grandma judy said...

You both are the greatest!