Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Pissin' with Sasquatch

You've seen the commercials for beef jerky on TV, the "Messin' with Sasquatch" commercials, right?

Well, I decided to dub this one "Pissin' with Sasquatch." While I usually avoid such coarse language... I just think it's the perfect caption to this photo.

So the question is, the second you see this photo, is it funny, or offensive? I think it depends on where you stand on bathroom humor, frankly. 

I think it's hilarious. But I laugh at bathroom humor. Like the scene in Austin Powers when he drowns Lucky Charms? And groans, "Who does No. 2 work for?!?" I can't even type it without laughing. Sorry.

So the background on this one: my company held it's annual publishers/editors meeting at Seven Springs Resort in Pennsylvania. My friend Ryan's last day for the company was nearing (he's leaving for law school.) As a goodbye joke, Marty donned a Sasquatch costume and crashed the dinner party one evening. Apparently it's Ryan's belief that Bigfoot is real, we just haven't found him yet — this came up during lunch one day. So the guys like to rib him for believing in Bigfoot. 

So I had to take a pic when I walked into the men's room and saw Marty putting on the costume. Too funny.

***

I put my back out, BIG TIME. Saw the chiropractor today. He told me I'm swollen on one side. Five to seven days of low activity, and he says I'll be back to normal. But if I mess it up in the interim? Another five to seven days.

He told me that today. Makes sense now, why Adrianne got so mad at me, when I let Boydee ride on my back to the bedroom yesterday.

***

I've decided to let my hair grow out a little, see how I like it. So apologies in advance, if you see me, and I look like Teen Wolf's dad.

It probably won't last through the weekend.

***

I've been traveling so much lately. I'm tired, burned out. 

I did the math as I was sitting in Chicago O'Hare the other day, and I realized I'd been in seven cities in seven days. Those cities: Kansas City (natch), Chicago, Milwaukee, Newark, New York City, Denver, Pittsburgh. In the week since, I've added Columbia, S.C., Augusta, Ga., and St. Louis.

I'm almost done. One more trip — for what I think could be my big story of the year — next week. And it's a 36-hour trip.

In the meantime, the kids kind of look at me like I'm a stranger.

***

Boyd is starting to stretch out. He's looking tall and lanky right now. I think he's grown over the last few weeks.

He's also been pretty cute. He told Adrianne yesterday that she was "the best mom EVER!"

Then he told her she did a good job of picking Dad.

***

Today might have been momentous, if only for me.

My dentist (Hay, in Eudora, he's awesome) removed my lower permanent retainer!!!

I've probably had this in my mouth since I was 17-years-old... it may have been taken out for a week or two in the interim, when I was going to that awful dentist in Lawrence (cough LEGENDSDENTAL cough) but I finally convinced a dentist that, yes, this is my body, I want this thing out of my mouth.

It took all of 30 minutes, and it was actually easier than I thought it'd be. The dentist was like, "Whoever put this in apparently wanted it to stick around for a while." As I was leaving, I told him what a pain in the ass this thing has been over the years, and he said something like, "As a rule I don't complain about other people's work, but... that didn't look comfortable, what you had."

I've been digging this new feeling all day, of NOT having this jaggedy metal piece of crap in my mouth. It makes me nervous, sure — it was probably there for a reason, according to some dentist. 

But I'm going to give it a try, for a while. Like this new Old Teen Wolf hair I'm rocking!

What is this, a midlife crisis?

***

Man, I remember when I used to do this all the time. Blog at night, over a few drinks, with the music on.

I've played two top-100 courses in the past two weeks. This, right now, feels more fun.

On the jukebox: Interpol, Zero 7 and Portishead.

***

Just finished that show, Animal Kingdom. It was decent. Creepy, exciting at times... decent.

***

OH! I'm on a radio show on Saturday, I think. Here are some details. I don't know much about it, my associate editor, Grant "Buddy" Gannon, set the whole deal up.

Coincidentally, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal also contacted me this week, wanting to know if I could go on the record about what happened at the Hall of Fame NFL preseason game that got cancelled. I told them I couldn't talk specifics (I wasn't there, after all) but I could discuss the industry in general... that got the big GONG! and I talked my way out of that one. 

I'll follow-up on what happens on the 19th Hole...


No comments: