Sunday, August 21, 2016

The weekend that was, August 19-21

It was quite the weekend here at the Casa de Jones.

On Friday I left work early to get down to Wichita. Needed to meet a real estate person to discuss Mom's house, and the guy working the estate sale asked if I could mow the backyard.

I took the mower down there. Got to Mulvane just in time to meet the real estate person... and just in time for the storm to start!

By the end of the storm, 7 inches fell on Mulvane, enough for the town to make national news and for a downtown building to partially collapse. It was nuts.

***

Mom's house is progressing nicely. The guy I've contracted is amazing. So lucky he's on our side.

***

Got back home early Saturday and the fam took Judy to the farm. She took a nice trip to the DR and needed to be reunited with her car. Popped in and said hello to Virginia while we were there.

From there, we went to Lawrence, where I took the kids to see the DeBruce Center. We wanted to see the original "Rules of Basket Ball." It was a cool experience!

I told the kids we were going to a museum, because that's what I thought what we were doing. But according to the kids, despite the $3.8 million dollar document hanging on the wall, it did not qualify as a museum...

I just heard Adrianne say, "Ask Dad, he's running the show." (Which I've never heard uttered by my wife before.) Then they were all, "DAD! Can we PLEASE go to the museum that Grandma takes us to?"

Well, of course. I told the kids that the Natural History Museum was my first ever "beat" as a journalist, when I was just a sophomore in college. They were unimpressed.

First time I've been there in years. It was nice. Fun. The triceratops skull wins for coolest exhibit.

***

From there, Pyramid Pizza, where we all had a slice then played some Donkey Kong and Ms. Pac-Man. Apparently Adro didn't know who she was messing with when it came to Ms. Pac-Man. But stop by Pyramid when you have time and check out the new high score... yeah, THIS GUY.

***

I smoked a brisket on Sunday. It was a'ight.

Need to talk to Stark about smoking brisket.

***

CDs I want to get: New Radiohead. Glass Animals. Head and the Heart (maybe.) New Local Natives. Robert DeLong. (This list is just for me.)

***

Boyd dressed himself in the above photo. He did a nice job.

While we drove from DeBruce to Dyche, we saw all the sorority rush stuff going on. The Chi-O fountain as overflowing with college girls. The neighboring sorority was throwing colored chalk dust in the air, or something. Music was blaring. A school bus (Perry!) was blocking traffic. It was all quite the spectacle.

Evey was somewhere between horrified and disgusted, I couldn't tell which, but she wasn't having it.

She voiced her disapproval, saying it looked scary, and not like a good time, and for sure not like a party.

Then Boyd piped up. "I think I could go to that party!" he said. "I think I can go, because I saw there were two boys there."

Those two boys were photographers. But I was happy to hear that Boyd was down for whatever the hell that was.

***








No comments: