Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Happy 39th birthday, me!

Evey and Boydee at Evey's 3rd grade musical,
early April 2016.
 So I turned 39 today. Whoo-hoo! Last year of the 30s.

How do I feel about it? Well, the 40s are creeping in on me, and that is a little weird. Heck, it was weird when my sister turned 40... and that was (redacted) years ago. So I'm OK with being a little weirded out about 40.

After all, I've been in my 30s, comfortably, for almost 10 years. Give a brother a break.

***

We had grand plans for my 39th birthday party. 

Dentists' appointment for Evey. (Huh?)

Dinner at Salty Iguana with the Joneses and the Johnsons (better).

Cake. (yup.)

But then, while Evey was sitting in the dentist's chair, I saw the radar. At 4:30 pm, it looked like all hell was about to break loose. Topeka, hammered. Wamego, annihilated. Manhattan? A memory. 

I called it all off. No way were we driving up K-10 in this apocalyptic weather. I was turning 39, and somewhere, a god was not happy (most likely Dionysus, but he can be an @$$h*le, especially on special occasions.)

Then all the weather went NORTH! Whoops. Cancelled for naught.

But that's OK... the back-up plan? Jim Shan Buffet take-out, my house, me, Adro, Evey and Boyd.

And it was AWESOME.

***

Lervik is in town, which is always a good time. We've been hanging out for the last 1.5 days. 

Since weather interrupted tonight's plans, we watched a movie downstairs (couldn't watch NBA — DirecTV was out with the live feed.)

We chose "Kingsmen" with Colin Firth and Samuel L. Jackson.

How was it? Pretty terrible. We got two laughs out of the movie...

Overall? A 3 out of 10.

***

I got some sweet gifts for my birthday. Boyd got me a badass Captain America wallet. Evey got me a sweet watch. Adro got me a nice suitcase... and it wasn't even packed!

Evey was a little bummed at the end of the evening, because she thought the wallet was from her... and she said that got my best reaction.

But, wow — I didn't realize the wallet got my best reaction, and actually, the watch and the suitcase are two items I'm even more in need of!

I tried to explain... but wow, my Evey Jones... she's so sweet, it's hard to know what's going on inside her head... but I know she loves her Daddy... and that's the only birthday gift I need, right there.

1 comment:

grandma judy said...

Nice post Seth! Happy birthday!