Wednesday, January 13, 2016

The girl has M-O-X-Y

It was quite a day for the Jones family, as Evey competed, and did great, in her school's 3rd/4th/5th grade SPELLING BEE!

We were so excited when Evey won the spelling bee of her class a few weeks ago. Today was the big day, when she competed against the other winners from the different classes.

Evey told me a few days ago that she was competing against the 4th graders and 5th graders... I told her she was psyching herself out, don't worry about it, I'm sure you're just competing against your own grade.

Shows you what I know. Evey was right, she was competing with the big kids!

And I'm happy to report that she tied for fourth place!

Evey made it a few rounds... I remember the words "people" and "bedrock." She was stumped by the word "moxie." She wasn't familiar with the word, but asked to have it used in a sentence, then reluctantly spelled it M-O-X-Y.

About seven other kids got knocked out in that same round. There were only three kids left after that round. I think it's accurate to say Evey lasted longer than any of the other third graders... I'm not 100-percent positive since it wasn't clear to me who was in which grade.

We just couldn't be more proud of her. She was nervous, but showed some serious moxy and rose to the occasion. Every word she was given terrified me. And I know I'm biased, but I felt like some of the kids lucked out with really easy words here and there, while all of Evey's words were either new to her, or potential "trap" words.

Boyd got sick at daycare today (thrown up four times since 4 p.m.), otherwise we would have gone out to celebrate her stunning performance. Pretty sure we're going to Tres Mexicanos tomorrow, and ordering extra queso dip. And I'll probably run her to the comic book store too, to re-stock her on some new cool girl comics, as a reward.

(Note # 1: The red-headed boy on the far left in the first photo is who won; he deserved it. He got some tough words along the way but finished strong, nailing "genteel" for the overall win.

Note # 2: The event was pretty well run... just a little bummed that the host of the event kept calling Evey "ehh-vee.")

WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU EVEY! Keep up the good work sis!

No comments: