Sunday, January 3, 2016

Familiar faces (KU vs Baylor)

A very cool end to my Christmas/New Year's break — Rick took me to the KU/Baylor game on Saturday.

What a game! The place was nuts right off the bat... and that scorching start the Jayhawks got off to added fuel to the fire.

We hit West Coast Saloon before and after the game for some hoops watching/beer drinking. Then we went to Red Lyon for a few, mostly because Ryno, Brent and Shane were there.

Interesting thing: this weekend, I ran into so many people I knew. At West Coast, at the KU game, at Red Lyon. It's a small world when you sit down at the KU game, and the guy you used to camp out with for good student seats 19 years ago is sitting down four seats away.

Perhaps more interesting (at least, to me): an old reader recognized me at Red Lyon — from my college days! Seriously, this guy gives me a look like he knows me, then says, "Jonesy?" I say, "Yeah, Seth Jones..." and he shouts, "That's it, SETH Jones... I used to read your column when I was a student!"

I think I yelled at the guy to shut up, because I was so stunned. It's been years since someone has recognized me from my KU sports column writing days. He said I looked the same as I did from my photo in the paper back then... which cracked me up a little. I guess I haven't departed too much from that photo, evidently. He also told me that I "told it like it was" back then and I didn't shy away from calling out the football coach, etc. I guess I kind of remember that. I was young. It was probably before my first death threat.

I was also happy that the old reader was excited to hear I have a golf magazine now, and am still in "the business." It would have been a drag to tell this guy I was in telemarketing or something (not to belittle telemarketers, but... it isn't what I studied to do.)

Anyway, Rick and I solved a few of the world's problems, told a few stories, had many laughs. Always a good time to hang out with Adro's uncle. And I'm happy to report that both of us claim to have barely been hungover this morning...




No comments: