Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Weekend adventure

Oh, man. I'm about 6 beers in, with 4 of those being 90 Shillings. Jayhawks just took a brutal L. And there's bad guys pinned down in Paris. Add on top of that, they just showed the video of the dad talking to his little 5-year-old about flowers vs. guns. GULP.

***

Took the kids on another adventure this weekend, this time it was just me and them and YES, we brought fishing poles. In fact, Boyd got out money from his piggy bank to buy his own pole.

That, to me, was a sign that we definitely needed to go fishing, even though I didn't think Boyd was mature enough for it yet. There's hooks involved in fishing, and I didn't want anyone taking one in the hand or worse because Boyd was too young to handle the responsibility of a fishing pole...

Well, we went to Walmart and found Boyd a fishing pole. It was $10. I told him to keep his money, that his Papa, my dad, his namesake, would want to buy his pole for him... because fishing was one of my dad's passions.

Boyd was pumped. For our adventure, we went back to Baldwin City, and started off at the lake.

The weather was a little worse, as the wind was consistently pounding us. In fact, it blew my makeshift tackle box -- a cardboard box filled with a mini-tackle box and some other tools -- into the lake. Frustrating.

I showed Boyd how to cast, not expecting much. And guess what? Little guy caught on right away! He loved casting and reeling in. He didn't want to leave the lake when it was time to go!

We came back to the lake and fished the opposite side, hopeful for a wind break. It was worse. We didn't catch a goddamn thing, but at least on the other side we had a few nibbles from some keder. At least some of the worms were consumed, partially.

Just imagine how much fun Boyd will have when an actual fish is on the other end of the pole???

***

The sweetest moment of the weekend was on Sunday when I walked by BJ's room. Again, the piggy bank was out.

"Son, what are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm getting money out so I can buy Mom and Grandma fishing poles," he said.

***

Adrianne has completed the backyard project, and it looks awesome. She will be joining us for this weekend adventure.

Hope she's used to not catching fish!

 

No comments: