Wednesday, November 11, 2015

An adventure to remember

The kids throw rocks at Douglas State Lake in Baldwin on 1... 2... 3!
My mom came over to visit for a few days recently. Her visit coincided with our "new town adventure."

Me and the kids have been hanging out on Saturdays while Adrianne works on her backyard project (the backyard project needs a code name. Will discuss with Adro.) We've been mostly playing golf and then getting lunch. Two Saturdays ago I told Evey we'd take golf off for a week, and instead "go on an adventure to a new town." I told her we could find the local playground, see if they had any cool shops downtown, and then cap the visit off with a lunch at the local Mexican restaurant.

In my mind we'd be visiting Baldwin City, and indeed that's what we did.

But the cutest thing was when I saw Evey's wall calendar recently. On every Monday is written "WATCH SUPERGIRL." And in the notes section on the bottom of the month, it reads "On Saturday Dad is taking us on an adventure to a new town."

Clearly Evey was excited. So I was hopeful our trip wouldn't dissapoint.

And it did not. The agenda follows:

  • Me and Boyd get haircuts in downtown Lawrence
  • Library stop, me and kids get books
  • Drive to Baldwin City, both kids fall asleep en route
  • Go to Douglas State Lake and explore, skip rocks in water
  • Get shot down on comic book store that was there a year ago (the kids have a comic book they're looking for); comic book store went out of business, apparently
  • Find amazing playground equipment, play
  • Lunch at El Patron, which the kids loved, especially Evey
  • Venture back to a different part of the lake for a little more rock skipping
  • Short drive home
The kids want to do the same adventure this weekend and I think, weather permitting, we will... except this time I'll bring our fishing poles.

It was a great adventure, and I'm glad my mom was able to join us, it was fun having her there with us!

No comments: