Sunday, July 6, 2014

Garage Sale Weekend!

I'm so happy with the results of our 4th of July weekend...
It was a garage sale 4th of July weekend at the Joneses. And we sold a ton of stuff!
That's me with my old Space Invaders game. My mom bought this for me back in 1987 or so, from a barbershop that was going out of business. I kept it for years and years, finally I said goodbye on Friday... but not before playing it one last time and taking a pic with it. This was my first arcade game. You never forget your first.

This sight warmed my heart. My two kids playing Shinobi together. Shinobi is my favorite arcade game EVER (Double Dragon and Galaga coming in 2nd and 3rd) and it's been encased in junk for the last couple years... was finally able to get it unearthed on Saturday, and it's playing great, I'm happy to report.


We had a wildly successful garage sale... and we cleaned out the garage... and we didn't set off a single firework!

The garage sale on the 4th was all Adro's idea, and it was a hit. Tons of traffic all morning. We almost sold all our stuff on that one day alone.

On Day two, Adrianne put out a bunch of the kids clothes, and then went crazy too. We were going to close at noon, and at 11:58, a mom with 6-month-old twin boys made us an offer on the entire lot of Boyd's clothes. We haggled a little bit and then settled on a price we both liked. Next thing I know, I'm loading boxes of clothes into her SUV! Win-win, baby!

We sold a couch... a bed frame... a bookshelf... a recliner... a couple lamps... clothes... an arcade game (NOT SHINOBI) and gave away an old mower, TV, printer and stereo receiver.

Most exciting is we cleaned the garage really well and got it back into operational shape. The Impala is back in, Shinobi is on and ready to be played (don't even worry about bringing quarters) and the bins with Christmas, Halloween, etc., are all clearly labeled and organized.

My hat is off to Adrianne, who did most of the work, and my mother-in-law Judy, who babysat the kids AND cleaned the house/did laundry while we were outside working the garage sale. Thank you ladies, well done.

Evey and Boyd helped as much as they could, too.

One funny moment from the garage sale: I lit a citronella candle to try to combat the flies. Not very effective, but I had to do something. So we're done, and cleaning the garage. I turn around and see flames shooting about two feet straight up off this butcher block table we have in the garage. "Fire, babe, FIRE!" I shout. I ran to it and saw it was mostly one large piece of paper burning.

I grabbed the paper, ran outside and stomped it out. Nothing else on the table caught, thankfully. Adrianne forgot the candle was there and set a piece of paper right on top of it.

I told her that my favorite moment of the garage sale was when we didn't burn the house down.

No comments: