Monday, September 9, 2013

The Z and me


Z, you've been a good ride. 12 years, 99,000 miles, a lot of hard turns and zipping through traffic...  we even got to drive on the Kansas Speedway once! Your 8 cylinders have been the best ride I've ever had, including that time I rented a new Corvette. Pure horsepower, that's what you are.

I don't think the Camaro will be mine for much longer. I think our time has come to an end.

So why, if I love the Z so much, am I planning on selling it?

Multiple reasons. I don't think two kids fit very well in the backseat of a Z, first of all. Secondly, Mom still has Dad's truck... and it's a decent truck (a V8 Dodge Ram with a few issues) and I feel like maybe I should drive Dad's truck for a few years. It's just sitting there at Mom's house, and that depresses me whenever I see it there. Dad and I took that truck fishing, you know?

Once I get Dad's truck, I'm sure no one will be happier (and yet a bit melancholy at the same time — guy code) than Copy Jesus and Neuty, as I won't need to borrow their trucks any more.

And, yes, if you ever need help getting a jukebox or pinball machine to your house... it's my turn to be that guy with the truck. I'm prepared to offer help -- Lord knows I borrowed trucks more than a few times in the... 18 years I've been driving Camaros (the Z is my third Camaro, but first Camaro with the Z 28 package.)

It was a good run. And it'll be nice to have a truck for once. I look forward to the first time I casually throw my golf clubs in the bed of the truck, as opposed to trying to figure out how I'll get my clubs to the golf course...

Oh, and if you've coveted my Z for years and years (you know you have, and I don't fault you) the Z Blue Books at $8,800. It's a 2002, 35th anniversary edition, with 99K. I'm looking to get something near that ballpark. I've owned the car since it had 9 miles on it, it's never been in a wreck and for a long time it was invisible to police. (Now it's just mostly invisible, so at times you have to watch your speed.)

Cheers, Z! You've been a heckuva ride.

No comments: